1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Pine Bluff (Ark.) Commercial

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, May 2, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's a quality line right there, chief.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If you have to ask, then that means you don't know.
    Make some calls ...

3. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

Rumor has it there was someone from the Demazette who expressed interest in this position recently but was...underwhelmed?...by what he/she heard from the powers that be in Pine Bluff. Could that person be Beck? ???

4. Slash

Slash Member

What it means is you’re being a smart a$$. ;D Now, you have people thinking she applied for a job there. Nice.

5. Slash

Slash Member

Jay shouldn’t have mentioned her name. She’s left the biz and Im nearly 100 percent sure not talking to the PBC.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Me not know, but if Beck feels like talking about some of the past history at her former employer, assuming it isn't under seal or something, then she knows who to e-mail.
    And that's really where I was going.

7. Slash

Slash Member

Have they filled this yet?

8. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Job has not been filled and as of yesterday (or today, not sure) they have zero sports department there.

9. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

From what I gather after speaking with those close to the situation, newsroom management, or a lack thereof, has made it a fairly undesireable place to work for quite some time now, which is supposedly a major reason why the last SE and the two writers who left couldn't wait to get the heck out. I guess the people running the editorial side of this shop are...interesting folk...to work with, to put it mildly.

10. Slash

Slash Member

Heard they hired a former staffer, who is in town for the summer, to man the department.

11. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

I know a guy who applied, but they would not fly him for an interview (they said he had to pay his way). I think he would have easily got it, but again, a cheep paper not wanting to spend a dime is a pretty big deterrent. Their loss ...

12. redsox99

redsox99 Member

I wouldn't say they are "cheep", but obviously they'd rather interview those they don't have to fly in first and go from there. Why spend a grand or more flying a possibility in when you can interview several before it gets to that stage? That's just business. Then if the regional apps don't pan out, then you target the outside folks.

Draft saved Draft deleted