1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Petoskey (Mich.) News-Review

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

(jj.com) The Petoskey News-Review, a daily newspaper in Northern Michigan, is seeking a sports editor. Applicants must have knowledge of AP style, camera use, video capabilities, excellent writing skills, excellent organizational skills and management skills. Candidates with digital skills will be preferred. To apply, send a cover letter, resume and three of your best clips to Jeremy McBain, executive editor, Petoskey News-Review, 319 State Street, Petoskey, MI 49770 or email jmcbain@petoskeynews.com.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Keep an eye out for a dude dressed up as Batman if you go for an interview ... ;)

Seriously, I used to live in "northern Michigan" in the late 1990s-early 2000s, and the Petoskey area is a beautiful place with tons of outdoorsy stuff to do. Cost of living is what you'd expect for a tourist town that draws a ton of summer visitors. And you'd better like winter -- this is lake-effect snow country.

The News-Review used to be/might still be family owned and pretty decent for a small daily. But again, it's been awhile.

Could be a great gig for a younger journalist who is organized and ready to wear plenty of different hats as sports editor.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Some world-class golf courses nearby, too.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Still family owned. This is my mom's home town and I will second the natural beauty of the area.
    Good staff from what I've heard and a pretty solid sports section. Focus is entirely preps.
    Also if you visit town, be sure to drop by City Park Grille, a favorite haunt of Ernest Hemmingway back in the day.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you get this job, please send me a stone.

Sincerely,

IJAG

6. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

And/or looking for a sports reporter now: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1444795

7. American Civilian

American Civilian New Member

The Petoskey News-Review hasn't been family owned in approaching 10 years, when Schurz Communications bought it ... and has gone downhill ever since.

Draft saved Draft deleted