1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Petersburg, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Feb 16, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

PETERSBURG, Va. (AP) - In a stunning move on Tuesday, the Petersburg Progress-Index newspaper named Bill Millsaps as its new sports editor.

"I missed the late nights, weekends and whiney parents," said Millsaps, an award-winning sports editor for many years at the nearby Richmond Times-Dispatch. "Combined with the low pay in this profession, it was just too much to pass up.

"I'm thrilled to be back in the game. My Windsor Farms home is up for sale and I'm ready to move to Colonial Heights or Hopewell to get the feel of my new area. That pesky kepone problem has been cleaned up, hasn't it?"

"This is the biggest thing to hit Petersburg since the Civil War or Moses Malone," a spokesman for the paper said.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Why is that?

3. boots

boots New Member

Millsaps is without a doubt one of the best newspaper men I have ever encountered. Don't know if this is true but if it is, Times-Dispatch watch out because there definitely will be some competition.

4. John Medeiros

John Medeiros Member

Boots, the AP alert was...
    Anyway, I've been replaced. I think I'll still show up to work this week.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Please tell me you didn't seriously take that seriously.
    Please?

6. John Medeiros

John Medeiros Member

But Moddy, it's true. I have been replaced. Will miss the Va. folks.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I know you have been replaced, I know the guy who is replacing you. Well, taking your job. You cannot be replaced.
    I'm just hoping boots didn't think that other thing was serious.
    Good luck in Pa.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Strange but true: Dick Schaap wrote for the Progress-Index when he was on a six-month tour at Fort Lee. He also wrote for the Fort Lee Traveller (cq).

9. boots

boots New Member

I can't tell a lie. He got me on that one but with good reason. I know Saps and know how much he enjoys the business. I also know how much he's seen it change and if he thought it would be a good deal to go to P-burg, he'd consider it. He's a great guy.
    That being said. Just say that you got one over on ol' boots.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Then don't be late for the snipe hunt in Maymont Park, either.

I too, was/an an admirer of Millsaps' work, and have heard through numerous sources that he was a great person to work for.

11. boots

boots New Member

I recently talked with him and we talked about the business which is why I wasn't too surprised that his name popped up. He is good people in many ways.

12. John Medeiros

John Medeiros Member

Boots, as always, your mea culpa proves you are a stand-up guy.
    It would be an honor to have been followed by Bill Millsaps as sports editor at the P-I. That is not the case here.
    Packing the final few boxes. Go Highland Springs! Knock off GW-Danville!
    John.

Draft saved Draft deleted