1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor | Pensacola, Florida

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SFIND, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Dailyconvo

Dailyconvo New Member

What was said here that would impede their hiring process? They made a hire, he backed out. It got frozen. Please show me the "snowflake-ishness"

2. CrawDaddy1

CrawDaddy1 New Member

Mostly in reference to Doc.

Guy's only experience with the paper is the occasional vacation yet he feels qualified to call it a hellhole and dishrag. Unlike Stagger who has his own life experience with which to dissuade interested posters.

Fella is just in it for the Gannett circle jerk. Don't be a snowflake.

3. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

How is it hyperbole to point out the things that suck about the place?

4. CrawDaddy1

CrawDaddy1 New Member

"What a dishrag operation."

"That might be the worst newspaper job in America."

"Wow, I knew it was a hellhole"

"Who in the fuck goes to an interview to be told 70% of the work you'll do is not even close to what you think it is and actually still wants the shitty job?"

At a point, surely we should recognize when legitimate criticism becomes a circle jerk over your own frustrations with the business.

QYFW likes this.
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Fetch beers, newbie.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. CrawDaddy1

CrawDaddy1 New Member

Swaggie, old flake.

7. Dailyconvo

Dailyconvo New Member

I count four people who posted here who either once worked there or within 20 miles. I think they all can confirm Doc's words.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Because we all know Gannett reads this board regularly and acts on every post.

Really, noob? And make mine an IPA.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I can't pretend to know what goes on around there anymore, as I try to stay out of it as much as I can now. I do talk to the reporters on occasion (we're still "friends" after all), but I try to refrain from doing too much "bashing." They have a tough job and constant negativity won't make it any better for them.

That said, I know that the guy that they "hired" pulled out at the last minute. So, they were going to hire someone. But that was back in early 2017. I think once that fell through, they weren't in any hurry to bring anybody in just to warm the seat. I have no idea if they've even interviewed anyone since the first person accepted the job and subsequently changed his mind.

From what I'm hearing now, they won't start looking at replacing this position until after June 30. If I had to guess, this position will go away and be folded into a night editor position (which is essentially what I was doing). But that's just my feeling.

I don't think anything that was said on this board changed the timetable of the position. I think the person accepting the job, then changing his mind is what changed it. As I understand it, they had plenty of applicants for the job. A lot of them probably didn't fit what they're wanting out of that position. IMHO, of course.

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

It is possible that the negativity expressed here about the job prevented someone from making a ghastly career decision and expensive mistake. Imagine a candidate accepting the job and moving to Pensacola (at his/her expense) -- then seeing the job eliminated and being laid off within a matter of weeks. It's been known to happen, particularly at chicken-manure operations such as Gannett.

11. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

That sounds like a kind assessment. How do you really feel though?

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Happened at another chain too. Trying to remember the paper, but a younger woman got the job, moved, found an apartment... and then was laid off a few weeks later.

Draft saved Draft deleted