1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- Parsons, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=796883

Company: Parsons Sun
    Position:
    Sports editor needed
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    May 18, 2014
    Job ID: 796883

Description:

SPORTS EDITOR — The Parsons Sun is looking for a passionate, hard-working individual to be a one person sports department for our five-day daily in Southeast Kansas. You will cover prep and small college athletics in and around Labette County. The Parsons Sun has developed a strong tradition of excellent sports coverage, with a focus on prep and small college athletics, as well as recreation and other sports activities. We are hyper local, making this a high-profile position in Parsons, but we have wire services to fill in the blanks. The ability to multitask and have fun doing it is a must. Shooting and editing photos (PhotoShop) and designing sports pages (InDesign) are necessary. Submit a resume and clips to rnolting@parsonssun.com.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

One high school in town, rural high schools in Altamont, Oswego, Chetopa, St. Paul, Erie and Cherryvale plus Labette Community College. Was a Harris paper but now owned by a guy out of Miami, Okla., if I'm not mistaken. It's the "mother ship" in its group; the Chanute paper is paired with it and both are printed in Parsons.

Morning paper, Tuesday-Saturday. All-mail delivery. Ray Nolting, the ME, is a good guy. It's a one-man show but I know that there's help on game nights, though I don't know exactly how it works.

Labette County (Altamont) is actually bigger than Parsons High School since the city has grown into the LCHS district. The college is usually good in wrestling but not so great in other sports.

The town is about 10,000. It's about an hour west of Joplin, two hours north of Tulsa, 2 1/2 south of Kansas City.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This one is a jobs board regular.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

One hell of a paper when Harris owned it. The Miami guy ruined it. He should work for Walmart with all the slashing he did gutting the place.

That said, the ME is a hell of a guy. The reporter is a wonderful person. Don't know if there's anyone else left from even a few years ago.

Parsons itself is a town I could see myself living in. Not too far from Wichita, Tulsa, Joplin and Kansas City.

Be warned. Everyone thinks the SE should do everything "the way Jack did it" because "jack" was there forever back in the day.

5. apeman33

It's been more than a decade since Jack passed on. How he did thing should no longer be relevant to anyone there.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

True, but I can relate to Harley's point. The comparison "thing" happened to me, my predecessors and successors.

7. apeman33

I don't believe anyone is being compared to Jack anymore. Two of the sports editors since Jack just simply ended up at bigger papers. I've been told management is fine. I don't think you can do much better than having Ray Nolting backing you up around here.

8. HandsomeHarley

It's the owner. He got rid of the photog (isn't everyone these days?) and cut the salaries of just about everyone.

The longtime people in the newsroom have roots there. That's likely the only reason they stay -- their husbands or wives have good jobs there.

Met the owner myself once when visiting. Used-car salesman at best. Complete asshole.

9. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Who wants to work at a place where a husband and a wife are on the same payroll — unless they own the paper? It breeds unprofessionalism, right?

10. HandsomeHarley

That's not what I said.

I implied that the newsroom people have spouses who have good jobs in the Parsons area, and that's the only way they can survive on the meager bird droppings the Miami owner tosses their way.

That said, I have worked for papers where the owner's wife works part-time and sometimes makes more than the rest of us.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Not necessarily.

12. BrianM

BrianM Member

They still haven't hired anyone to fill this one, and it is currently back up on jjobs.

Company: Parsons Sun
    Position: Sports editor needed
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable

Description: SPORTS EDITOR — The Parsons Sun is looking for a passionate, hard-working individual to be a one person sports department for our five-day daily in Southeast Kansas. You will cover prep and small college athletics in and around Labette County. The Parsons Sun has developed a strong tradition of excellent sports coverage, with a focus on prep and small college athletics, as well as recreation and other sports activities. We are hyper local, making this a high-profile position in Parsons, but we have wire services to fill in the blanks. The ability to multitask and have fun doing it is a must. Shooting and editing photos (PhotoShop) and designing sports pages (InDesign) are necessary. The ability to shoot video and work in digital and mobile formats is preferred. Submit a resume and clips to rnolting@parsonssun.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted