1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Parsons, KS

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by michaelbuhler, Jul 11, 2012.

1. michaelbuhler

michaelbuhler New Member

Per the Kansas Press Association web site:

SPORTS EDITOR — The Parsons Sun is looking for a passionate, hard-working individual to be a one person sports department for our five-day daily in Southeast Kansas. You will cover prep and small college athletics in and around Labette County. The Parsons Sun has developed a strong tradition of excellent sports coverage, with a focus on prep and small college athletics, as well as recreation and other sports activities. We are hyper local, making this a high-profile position in Parsons, but we have wire services to fill in the blanks. The ability to multitask and have fun doing it is a must. Shooting and editing photos (Photoshop) and designing sports pages (InDesign) are necessary. Please submit a resume to rnolting@parsonssun.com

2. Packerfan4

Packerfan4 New Member

Any chance we could see a salary range posted?

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

The paper once belonged to the Harris Corp., which had solid wages and great benefits.

But a couple of years ago, it was bought by a jerkoff in Miami, Okla., who literally gutted it, slashing positions and salaries in the process.

The only people who work here longer than a resume stop come from the area and/or have spouses with better jobs.

4. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Ray Nolting is a really good guy, and Parsons isn't bad as small towns in rural Kansas go.

Other than that, my mama said if you can't say something nice ... you know the rest.

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

A few years ago, while they were in between sports editors, I filed from there. This was after Harris sold. The morale was non-existant and it felt like I was in the building by myself except for when Ray came over to ask if they could use my stats because the coach hadn't called. I don't know if it's improved.

Someone told me a couple of years ago that all of Jack Harris' records are missing. If so, there's histories of entire high-school leagues in SEK that are now lost.

6. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

WHAT?!? I was always scared to even touch them for fear of doing harm to such sacred records.

7. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Yeah, if Jack hadn't invited me to come up and copy what I did copy, the SEK would be pretty much gone, too. That's how I was able to have the records I share. Only thing I regret now was that I started copying from 1962 because that was what I needed for the local team. If I'd known, I'd have copied everything, which would have added at least four more years prior (1958-61).

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Crap, that sucks. Back up your stuff with a thumb drive or hard copy in case some idiot hits the dump button.

Used to work in a place where I had the same trouble in 1998-99.

Sounds like Parsons has had trouble keeping folks since ol' Jack moved on. Imagine that.

9. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Oh, Jack's records were hard copies. Volume upon volume of spiral notebooks. Overwhelming, to say the least.

10. PirateSports

PirateSports Member

I used to work for the publisher...awful, awful experience

11. BrianM

BrianM Member

I still work for that publisher at a nearby paper, so, uhm....hi everybody!
    I'm a year in, this is my first real small-town-newspaper sports editor job, (I was at a suburban weekly before this.) so I don't know much about past histories or have anything to compare my working experience to. So, I can lend nothing when it comes to the accuracy of what people who have been around for longer than me posted here. I'll only say that I don't know that the horror stories relayed here haven't been experienced by me, in my job.
    And Packer; I'd say $25-30 K would be a decent guess on the salary range....

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Try less than $25k.

Draft saved Draft deleted