1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Owatonna (Minnesota) People's Press

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Aug 5, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

If you’re an experienced sports reporter who understands that sports is more than an advances and gamers, we want to talk to you. The People’s Press is a 6,000 circulation, award-winning five-day daily an hour south of the Twin Cities on Interstate 35 in Minnesota and we’re looking for a top-notch sports editor.

Owatonna takes its sports seriously, as well it should, with a coverage area that includes teams that play at a highly competitive level, with several section and state champs. But the community embraces far more than traditional athletics. We want someone who can write a great narrative on Friday night’s Huskies football game and then turn around and give readers a strong feature on the local junior hockey team or an enterprising look at a local booster club’s finances from its 990s. We want the complete package: someone who leads with his or her writing, design, photography and multimedia experience.

The successful applicant will have insatiable curiosity, an excellent grasp of sports and a demonstrated knowledge of how multimedia enhances reporting. Special consideration will be given to candidates who have experience using social media.

We are a family-owned cluster of 16 publications, eight community websites and Facebook pages and a regional magazine. All are aggressive, watchdog-oriented papers with newsrooms full of talent. Besides the Twin Cities, Owatonna is within an hour of the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, Rochester and the Mayo Clinic, Mall of America, eight state parks and more than 100 recreational lakes and other top attractions. Benefits include health care, dental, life and long-term disability insurance, a flexible spending plan, vacation and 401k. Send your resume and no more than five of your best clips to Jeffrey, Managing Editor, Owatonna People’s Press, Owatonna, MN 55060. Email it to jjackson@owatonna.com. No phone calls, please. The People’s Press is an equal opportunity employer.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1517661

2. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

I'd love someone's thoughts on this. As crazy as it sounds I'm thinking about RETURNING to newspapers.

3. jla74m

jla74m Member

I tried applying for this job today and, everytime I did, my email bounced back to me. What gives?

4. brojones47590

brojones47590 New Member

Random thought, but didn't they film the movie "Angus" at Owatonna? (Which, BTW, is a vastly underrated movie.)

5. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Shooting locations for that movie were Owatonna and Stillwater, both in Minnesota.

6. Owatonna is a very nice area. Not sure what the housing costs are like, but there's a lot of money in that neck of the woods.

Draft saved Draft deleted