1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor Opening - Ann Arbor.........AGAIN!!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

One would reasonably believe that a candidate is in today, like, as we speak.

rb

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

3. Rockbottom

Patience, grasshopper. Patience. All will be determined soon ... or not.

rb

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Is slappy applying?

5. Rockbottom

Slappy is not a candidate for that job, of that I can assure you.

rb

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You'd have better odds of giving birth

7. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Allow me to weigh in here.
    I am shocked this job remains open, shocked it was open long enough for me to get involved.
    This is a great paper in a great town and it's full of great people.

I had conversations with Ann Arbor in recent weeks, went out there for a visit. My current paper came in with a terrific offer (see Richmond VA thread), otherwise I would have pushed hard to take the situation in Ann Arbor to the next step.
    I would not have hesitated for a second to go there.
    Yes, it's a smaller paper than where I am now but it doesn't think that way and it doesn't play that way.

I met managing editor Jim Knight several years ago when he was sports editor. We attended the same API seminar. Very sharp. Stood out among a room full of people from large papers. Would have loved working for him.

I had two sessions with executive editor Ed Petykiewicz and enjoyed both of them. Outstanding newspaperman, knows his stuff, cares about his paper. Some say the level of his involvement is a negative. Hogwash. He's the EDITOR. He's supposed to be involved. An uninvolved editor is a problem.

Met the publisher Laurel Champion. Also very sharp, very passionate about her paper.

The staff was impressive. It busts ass and it shows. The access at Michigan isn't terrific yet they do some terrific stuff. All the people I talked to told me they wanted to be a great section. You hear that and look at what they do and say, "Yes, that is quite realistic." They already are great much of the time.

Using a Nextel Cup analogy, this is a Chase level team that needs a crew chief.
    Using a baseball analogy, this is a playoff team that needs a closer.

This ship doesn't need major repairs. It needs someone to steer, a good leader to provide some guidance, do some long-range planning, provide support for a strong group that will put in the time.

Had my paper not come through, again, I would not have hesitated. Not at all. The hometown thing was the trump card and deciding to stay here was not as simple as it would seem. That's how impressed I was with Ann Arbor's situation.

I'm not talking out my ass here. I've done well enough in my 30 years in this business to earn the SE job at a good newspaper. I know a good product.

Get in touch with Jim Knight quickly.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why the rant?

what are you trying to prove?

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He wasn't trying to prove anything. He was trying to convince other qualified candidates to throw their hats into the ring -- unless I misread the post.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I agree with Doc. Harris feels the job is an excellent opportunity and is encouraging others to apply.
    No rant and he's not trying to prove anything -- maybe in your world. He wants the paper to have a solid SE....

11. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Mr. Petty (love your music by the way),
    I apologize if I offended you in any way. I'm not trying to prove anything. Like the other posters said, I'm just trying to encourage others to apply. There's been a post or two that have carried a negative tone about this job. I wanted to offer a very different view from someone who has had a long life in this business. I didn't see it as a rant because there was no anger behind it at all.

12. Thinking Man

Thinking Man Member

I can personally attest to much of what MJHRVA is saying about Ann Arbor. I worked there for a little more than a year under Jim Knight. Jim is an excellent, excellent editor and a better guy. The rest of the staff there is top-notch, although I have to disagree about Big Ed (he's a pain in the ass!). It's a nice environment, too, as they recently spent big bucks fixing up the building. But do be ready to bust your backside. The budget is also pretty tight.

Draft saved Draft deleted