1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor Opening - Ann Arbor.........AGAIN!!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Riddick, Sep 14, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Theories? On this board. No way.

2. Thinking Man

Thinking Man Member

It's most likely a cost-savings move. They've been doing this kind of stuff for several years now ... people leave and they either don't fill it or wait several months. It's all to save money. An SE isn't as critical for the day-to-day stuff there anyhow ... the ASE handles that, and the staff is very good. They don't need a task-master SE.

3. I am told that the staff there was informed sometime this week that they just haven't found the right candidate yet. Two turned them down after offered, another before an offer.

Five months, two offers, still not the right candidate...

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, I have interviewed there for SE job in the past ... they are verrrrry particular have a verrrrry specific vision of how they want to do things. It's not unreasonable, it's just their thing.

5. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

At least they're looking and not just holding it open to save a buck.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Welllllll, that's what they SAY. ::)

But, SE at the AAN is an important enough position, I'd suspect they do have plans to fill it eventually.

But, if they get through a whole football season successfully, I'd also guess they'd give whomever is the "acting" SE the gig, even if only in title.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Which one says more -- that they are looking and can't find anyone, or are just holding it open to save $$$ -- and what does that say exactly?

rb

8. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

After a few days away, it really doesn't matter which is the situation because it's a shit situation either way.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

could be a damned good situation. but from what i understand ... where there is smoke there is fire.

10. cityemployee

cityemployee New Member

the job post sounds like they're the NY Times ... it's a 53K daily ... someone with "several" years of management experience and is a go-getter is going to be in a management position at a much bigger daily ... they need someone that is hungry to be in management and take this position, with their energy, to another level, unless of course, they are looking for a 'yes" man or woman who is just looking to collect a paycheck ... and speaking of paycheck the word is they have low-balled the salary offers to their early candidates thus far ... the section hasn't won any APSE awards since '03 and maybe this search is the root of the reason why ... this job is not going to be filled until '07 unless miracle happens ... the expectations of what they want and what they can get are unrealistic.

11. scalper

scalper Member

Bump. This one's been awful quiet. Surely, they're bringing the next round of candidates in by now or very soon.

12. Mmmmmmmm

Mmmmmmmm New Member

This is such a cluster. Were all of the previous candidates bad? Or do they not know what the hell they want to do or where they want to go.
    What a joke.
    :(

Draft saved Draft deleted