1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Opelousas, LA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Feb 23, 2007.

1. steeltown

steeltown New Member

It's frustrating, b/c there's a job opening in Thibodaux, and I haven't heard anything from them. I thought my background at least qualified me for an interview (I've worked at bigger newspapers and have a decent resume), but they're not biting. I wish I knew someone at either paper or had some kind of "in," b/c I'll likely be living in the area soon. Wish I knew a way to sell myself without sending them a bunch of calls and e-mails. I even told them I'd be willing to absorb all relocation costs, but no response so far.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

If the last time the Lafayette gig was open is any indication, you'll be waiting a while to hear on this one. Best of luck though.

3. boots

boots New Member

Hang in there. Give them a call. What do you have to lose? The only thing they can tell you is no and you're no worse off than you were before. GOOD LUCK!

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Surprise, surprise. This position is open again.

The most recent sports editor was there for about a month, and worked all but one day in said month. He decided he'd rather go back to his old gig than never have another day off.

So, the next SE hire will be their fourth in a little more than a year.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Wow, a month. This place could be called Martinsville West.

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

It's bad. To make matters worse, two of the stringers the paper used to rely on heavily three sports editors back take it upon themselves to constantly post on the Daily World website forums about how bad the paper has become since Gannett "fired" them.

It's really not a bad place to cover sports. Some great athletes have come from that area (Olympic triple-jumper Walter Davis, Saints receiver Devery Henderson, Bengals safety Marvin White, novelist and freelance writer John Ed Bradley).

Draft saved Draft deleted