1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Opelika-Auburn News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DanaSulonen, Apr 4, 2017.

1. DanaSulonen

DanaSulonen New Member

This is my current position, but my last day is Saturday, April 8. DM me if you have any questions.

Opelika-Auburn News has an immediate opening for an experienced sports editor. This position exercises independent judgment and/or creativity in their day-to-day job duties, which includes supervising a staff of two full-time sports reporters. The sports editor assigns and edits stories, centerpieces, series and projects; arranges for photos, graphics and other sports enhancements; and other duties include editing copy, guiding sports reporters, recruiting and managing free-lance correspondents, proofing pages, helping to determine layout and presentation, and solving the problems that arise along the way. The sports editor also is an important part of the overall newsroom management team and will work with News to provide a cooperative team approach and atmosphere to newspaper and website coverage. Digital involvement is a must and our next sports editor will be a proven veteran of digital and social media successes.

Opelika-Auburn sports department has a storied reputation of winning national honors and advancing the careers of its staff into wonderful opportunities. Coverage areas include Auburn University and SEC competition, and a lively prep scene that produces a wide variety of human-interest profiles as well as D-I all stars. Our sports editor will write, edit, plan and organize in a teamwork atmosphere and with top-notch skill. Only sports veterans with a proven resume should apply. Pre-employment background and drug screening required. EOE/M/F/D/V:

2. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Where you off to Dana?

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Think maybe she only wants to answer that on DM. but if she does let us know.

4. ejyankee

ejyankee New Member

She announced that she's taking a job as a sports planning editor in Nashville.

5. DanaSulonen

DanaSulonen New Member

Yes I've taken a sports digital planner position with USA Today - Tennessee

6. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Bumping this back up because they reposted today.

7. DanaSulonen

DanaSulonen New Member

Thank you! I haven't heard much about it since I left.

8. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

9. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Scratch my head. Hope they land a good one. Wonder if someone was offered gig and didnt take it. Or if quality of candidates stunk. Or what. Just surprised job still is open this close to football.

10. JV37

JV37 New Member

I'm the Auburn beat writer at this shop. What I can tell you about the job is that it is demanding, but it's fun work. We're incredibly active covering the major Auburn University sports (football, basketball, baseball and softball, with features on the other sports in between) as well as the 19 high schools in our coverage area. We also have the Barbasol Championship each summer, which is the PGA Tour event that runs opposite the British Open. Not a big-name tournament by any means, but it's good golf.

We don't paginate (we use a design center) but the editor is generally responsible for budgeting and proofing the section, as well as planning and all that. In the past, the editor has also served as the Auburn columnist, meaning trips to every Auburn football game throughout the SEC.

If you have any questions, please PM me. Here's the link to apply: JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports editor in SEC country

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  11. You use a design center or they use you? My bet is they spank that a-- and make ya walk a straight line. And when they screw your pages up... OH WELL, s--- happens. Churn it in and churn it out -- nothing matters but "did you make deadline and not have the F word in the paper?" Gotta love that.

12. JV37

JV37 New Member

The BH Media design center is actually quite good. They place all the content all the pages, but we have full say about design and have final approval over all pages before they are sent to the printer. And in my year here, we have never once had a situation where we've failed to get an event in the paper because of deadline. If Auburn has an 8:30 football game, we just push deadline back to make sure the story runs. I haven't worked with any other design center, but I can say this one is pretty good.

Draft saved Draft deleted