1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor | Omaha World-Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TexasVet, Mar 29, 2017.

1. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

Via Journalism Jobs

Date: Posted March 29, 2017
    Industry: Newspapers / Wires
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified

Description:
    The Omaha World-Herald is seeking a sports editor to head up a staff that covers college and high school sports like the major leagues.

The winning candidate will lead a large and highly productive staff that produces a daily sports section and a vibrant sports website that breaks news, covers statewide college recruiting and attracts about 2.7 million page views per month.

The job is heavy on planning and organizing and managing experienced journalists. The sports editor also directs production of numerous special sections throughout the year. The sports editor will utilize writers, columnists, designers, artists, online editors, and photo resources as well as an experienced desk to produce one of the top sports sections in the United States, regardless of size. The staff has won 31 of a possible 33 top-10 APSE section awards since 2007 and swept the daily, Sunday and special section contests in 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. The sports website has been named Top 10 in five of the last six APSE contests.

Areas of emphasis are University of Nebraska (Big Ten) and Creighton University (Big East) athletics, other local college athletics, the College World Series, high school athletics and “big events” routinely hosted by a vibrant sports city in the middle of the nation.

Send cover letter and resume to Thad Livingston at thad.livingston@owh.com. Please put "Sports Editor" in the subject line. Deadline to apply: April 21.

Why you should come to Omaha: The Omaha World-Herald is the flagship paper of BH (Berkshire Hathaway) Media Group. Omaha -- Nebraska's largest city -- has a population of more than 415,000 and frequently shows up on "best places to live" lists. The city boasts a strong economy and low cost of living, thriving music scene, restaurants galore, award-winning schools, and a nationally renowned zoo.

2. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I would go for this but I don't think I could move my wife and kids again. But this is what I'd say they call a big boy job and should draw some attractive candidates.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I was also thinking the same thing. Definitely a big-boy job. Maybe above my pay grade, but worth a shot.

Spectacular newspaper. This sports section is top notch. They are a firm believer in special sections. College World Series coverage is first rate. Regular sections on Sundays aren't afraid to go to 16-18 pages depending on how much is going on. Boys basketball and girls basketball state finals, even though they are in Lincoln, get six pages of coverage in each Sunday edition. And their coverage of other preps is comprehensive.

4. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Which is good. Need to be able to have flexibility on page count depending on what a going on. Special sections at least used to be a driving force. They still can be but you have to pick and choose your spots. CWS is a good event to do it with.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Hell of a section. Omaha is always one of my favorite to judge at APSE. Big shoes to fill.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Great section. Big boy job. But ... BH (Berkshire Hathaway) Media Group just had a huge round of layoffs across the company today.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

How did the job open up?

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This has been published already in the W-H, but Thad Livingston was bumped up to assistant managing editor. Whoever gets this job should have fairly strong backing in it, IMO.

10. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Thanks ........

11. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Anybody got any news on this one? Good job, and the deadline to apply was about 10 days ago.

12. BH will likely hold the job open for at least another 10-12 days... ya know, that'd save about $500 that could be wasted elsewhere and Warren Buffet can't afford to lose $500 in one day... would crush his portfolio.

Other than that consideration, YOU'RE HIRED! Report Monday, 8 a.m. to midnight shifts (likely) answering to some clown. Bring ya big red nose and blue size 15 sneakers.

Draft saved Draft deleted