1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Odessa (TX) American

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MiamiBoy, May 30, 2017.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Who decides what the spirit of the game is? It's in the rule book that the baserunner touch every base and there is a procedure for challenging whether a player touched a base. Seems to me if it's in the rule book, it's in the spirit of the game.

cjericho, JustinLee and busch like this.
  2. JustinLee

JustinLee New Member

I see what you're saying and that's totally valid. Personally, I just really didn't like the appeal at the high school level in a season-ending situation.

I'm also the world's biggest hater of open-court fast-break showmanship dunks getting called back for traveling, and I think it's dumb when a premature celebration going into the end zone is called a fumble, and I think computer-laser strike zones would be awful -- so at least I'm consistent with my dumb ideas

3. busch

busch Member

To me, saying the coach is cowardly because he asked that they enforce the rule takes things way too far. Hey, all of us say things we would take back - or at least soften - in the heat of the moment. In this case, I would hope you regretted that and learned from it. It shouldn't matter if it's season-ending, if the kid missed the base, he's out. From what it looks like, there was no argument that he actually missed the base, so he's out.

4. avtkrmn

avtkrmn Member

if they are complaining, they are reading!

HanSenSE and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

My question is if the coach you accused of behaving cowardly one of the area coaches you cover and deal with regularly, or was it a one-off type of deal and you'll never (or at least rarely) cover him again?

If he is local, what was his reaction when you said be behaved cowardly, and I assume you said that when you interviewed him postgame? If he isn't local, would you have had the same reaction and used the same words about a local coach?

6. JustinLee

JustinLee New Member

I feel like this should be a separate thread at this point, but to answer your question I wasn't there writing a story on the game. I was shooting it while in town for a softball series. I know I'd have felt the same no matter if the team was local or not. That shouldn't make a difference to anyone. If they were local I might've chatted with an editor before sending out what I felt I saw, though. I don't know.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Justin, your next SE may well rein you in. I'm kind of surprised the editor of the paper hasn't. You could really alienate some people with your approach.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

So they call it a fumble if the player starts celebrating? Or if you start to celebrate it shouldn't matter if you drop the ball before you're in the end zone?

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

You'd be offering a public apology at my shop. Or you'd be looking for another job. Calling a coach a coward in a public forum for enforcing the rules is quite staggeringly stupid. Be glad I'm not your boss. There was a lesson learned in having the rules enforced, well within the spirit of the game. And you missed it.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I'd like to find one coach who says he'd let the other team take the W when he knew a kid missed the base.

busch likes this.
  11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

So, a reporter comes on here, offers up some info on an open position and says, "Hey, DM me or email me if you want to know more."

I don't agree with him at all, but I also don't see why we had to bring this up in the first place. He's a reporter at a local paper, not writing takeouts for SI. In his initial post, he didn't profess himself to be hot stuff or really do anything to suggest he needed to be taken down a peg.

I've written a lot of dreck in my early career that still keeps me awake some nights, and I certainly appreciate never having to dredge that up every time I post here. I hope we can offer others the same courtesy.

Gator and jr/shotglass like this.
  12. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Or worse ... how many examples are there of journalists who have been suspended and/or fired (like the Denver Post columnist) for their tweets?

Draft saved Draft deleted