1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, North Jefferson News (Suburban Birmingham, AL)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by slappy4428, Oct 16, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Seeking sports editor
    The North Jefferson News is seeking a motivated, talented, driven individual to take the helm of our sports section. The North Jefferson News is a bi-weekly newspaper in Gardendale, Ala., and covers the towns of Fultondale, Gardendale, Morris, Corner, Warrior and Hayden. The sports editor would be required to cover school sports happening in those towns. The position is a full-time position with benefits like health insurance, vacation and personal days. Other benefits include covering and reporting on some of the best athletic talent in the state. We are looking for an aggressive go-getter who will be willing to do whatever is necessary to take our sports section to the next level. We also need someone who can work well under deadline pressure. Writing experience is required. Experience in photography, page layout and Macintosh computers is a major plus. Please send a cover letter, resume and three writing samples to newsroom@njeffersonnews.com. No phone calls please.

I know the paper is CNHI; the GM/Editor is good people.... will probably pay in the low 20s.

2. thebigd

thebigd Member

sounds like a 1-person shop

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes, you would be a one-person shop, but you only have five or six high schools to cover

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Any help w/ freelancers? And is it still a 2-3 page per issue deal?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think the answer is no and yes...

7. EGM67

EGM67 New Member

The sports in that part of the county aren't bad.

8. WS

WS Member

slappy, you seem like you would know a good deal about this job. Would someone get to take pictures at cover SEC Media Days with this gig?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I don't know if the GM/editor would let that happen. Again.

10. times38

times38 Member

Where's Prince going?

11. WS

WS Member

NBC. Wings is filming a sequel and they needed him back.

12. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I laughed very hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted