1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Newberg, Ore.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by thegraphic, Aug 9, 2009.

1. thegraphic

thegraphic New Member

SPORTS EDITORThe Newberg Graphic, part of the Eagle Newspaper group, is seeking a sports editor to join the news team at our 5,500-circulation newspaper 25 miles southwest of Portland. The Graphic covers sports at one 6A high school and four 1A high schools, as well as collegiate sports at George Fox University. The successful candidate will have well-developed sports writing skills with some experience in photographing sports. Expertise on Quark Xpress and PhotoShop would be a plus as well. Salary and benefits are typical for the industry. Send a resume, cover letter and clips to Managing Editor Gary Allen via email at gallen@newberggraphic.com or by mail to The Newberg Graphic, 500 E. Hancock St., Newberg, OR 97132. The deadline for applications is Aug. 13.

PM me if you want more info on this job.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I live in the area and can vouch that this is a nice place to live...and with the college in town you can find affordable housing.

A friend of mine held this job at one point and enjoyed it...George Fox is NCAA Division III, but it has some solid sports to cover...most notably its women's basketball team.

Don't know the specifics of the current opening, but it seems like a good place for someone that's willing to do a bit of everything, whether you're new out of college or just looking for a place to settle in.

Good luck to all that apply...
    a fellow Oregon sports editor :)

3. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Struck me as funny, that's all.

4. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

Yeah. I had to laugh at that line. Wouldn't have gone that route personally.

5. flexmaster33

I don't see anything wrong with it...although I'd prefer people would just put the salary range up there (based on experience)...I can understand why you don't want to do that, but obviously that question is going to come up quickly for any serious candidate.

I've found that papers in this area tend to pay a bit more, but the cost of living is higher than other places in the country.

I've applied to some posted on here where they puff themselves up, then you get a call only to find out I'd have to take a pay cut to move jobs. At least they're being up front for the most part.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

FWIW, I'm thinking the new SE in McMinnville (the rival county paper, just to the west) pulled in mid $30k when he took the gig a few months ago. But yes, the cost of living has gone up.

7. flexmaster33

McMinnville is also a bigger paper that publishes more often last I knew. I would guess the Newberg job to be in the $25-$30K range.

8. The high end of your guess is very optimistic. The low end is closer to the reality.

9. excuseme

excuseme New Member

Just to let you guys know, this job is back open.

10. flexmaster33

A good place for someone starting out or someone older looking to settle into a slower pace. Great place to raise a family, but pay's not enough unless your spouse is the main wage-earner.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Wow, that was quick.

12. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

You're in the heart of the best country for pinot noir. Oregon grapes are wonderful. Now whether this job would pay you enough to afford better than Charles Shaw.

Eagle is a good little company, too. I don't know of layoffs, but I could be wrong. Since they're all such small shops, I don't know who they'd be able to get rid of.

Draft saved Draft deleted