1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, New Braunfels, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Here it is again.
    The Herald-Zeitung, a 9,000-daily newspaper in New Braunfels, Texas, (in the Hill Country between Austin and San Antonio) is seeking an experienced local sports editor who can ensure that coverage within our circulation area is second to none. Candidates should be highly organized, knowledgeable in page design and possess excellent editing and deadline writing skills. The sports editor supervises one sports writer and coordinates correspondent writers and photographers. A bachelor's degree in journalism, mass communications, English or related field and daily newspaper experience is preferred. Resumes should be sent to Sean McCrory, managing editor, at smccrory@herald-zeitung.com.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/62378/

Can somemoddy merge this into the old thread?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Damn, another missed opportunity to show the Schlitterbahn some love.

4. thebigd

thebigd Member

meaning what football bat? is the job not open? can anybody tell me anything about the paper?

5. BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit Member

How did the name Herald-Zeitung come about?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

From the same dictionary that gave us Schlitterbahn.

Gosh, how long would it take me to learn how to spell that, anyway? Seriously, some shoes are simply too big to fill.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

The Herald, the community's English language paper, and the Zeitung, the German paper, merged in 1957.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Good news: New Braunfels is in a fun, pretty area of Texas.
    Bad news: You are about 20 minutes from San Antonio and 40 minutes from Austin, meaning the bulk of your potential readers will likely be picking up an American-Statesman or an Express-News (are those both hyphenated?). Also means all the cool things in either city will be conceded to those papers and you'll likely be doing mostly preps and community (confession: I am assuming that, I don't KNOW that. But that's what suburban papers generally do).

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

But Robert Earl Keen is playing Gruene Hall on New Year's Eve, so you got that going for you.

10. thebigd

thebigd Member

who owns the paper?

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i do believe it's southern newspapers

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If I could "meet" Leigh Nash I'd work for Coke Zero and vending machine pretzels.

Draft saved Draft deleted