1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor (New Braunfels, Texas)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by WrIIter, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Tivy is good this year. Although their quarterback was suspended due to underage drinking, they're still 5-1.

2. thebigd

thebigd Member

Has anybody figured out whether the post is a hoax or not?

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i don't see how it could be a hoax since the job is posted at jjobs, tpa and tdna. my guess is that the outgoing guy jumped the gun and misspoke in his farewell column.

as for the town, has a lot of character and while schlitterbahn is a blast, i'll take the guadalupe river every time. and if you go for an interview, chances are that they'll put you up at a haunted hotel in town.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

And no, it doesn't snow in New Braunfels.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

But it has snowed there before Angola.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep,that's my guy!! I wouldn't go so far as to call him a "first class A-hole",although i do understand why others might use the term. He, um, had his moments back in the day. But then again, didn't we all.

He was famous for dashing out of the newsroom 10 minutes before deadline to hit the local liquor store in time to get booze for the night. Conversation one night:

Will: "Man, I need to go and get f***** up"

Me: "Will, what do you mean, you already ARE f***** up!"

Will: "Shut up, you!" (his signature quote)

Seriously, he was a decent reporter and cranked out some good stuff. He was the black guy on staff as a baseball beat guy and I was the white guy covering basketball at all-black high school. Go figure.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't have a horse in this race but this post is not right. You have identified someone and pretty much labeled him a lush. Yet, no one knows your identity. I think that is a pretty cheap shot.

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Yep same guy. And that descritpion matches just about everything I know about him. Yes he is indeed a lush. Heard one story about him coming to an editorial meeting one day wearing sunglasses and leaving right after it was done, apparently it was obvious he was hungover or still a bit drunk. And like yours I've heard him being notorious for leaving the newsroom and hitting the liquor store.
    Apparently, his A-holeness didn't show fully until he became a sports editor. I have heard before that as a reporter or copy editor, he was okay.
    Now, there's reporters all over this state who are happy to share encounters with this idiot. Always good for a laugh, and an appreciation that no matter how bad it gets where you are, at least we don't work with him.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not to be nasty but what part of the previous post did you not understand? Whether the guy has a drinking problem or not, putting that type of information on the net is wrong.

10. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I understood the post perfectly well. Thanks for asking, Will.

11. Zabka

Zabka Member

I don't think there's enough bandwidth to hold all the Will Wright horror stories I have.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ah, didn't mean to slander the guy. Just brings back memories from almsot 20 years ago. My life and career have taken many different twists and turns since those days and I'm sure his has as well. I wish him the best.

And, yes, sunglasses were always a part of the wardrobe!

Draft saved Draft deleted