1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, New Bedford, Mass

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Nov 8, 2008.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Ian, good job nuking bridges.

There are plenty of people I've sparred with in real life, but generally, I try to leave it off the board. The one or two times I haven't, it's bit me in my big ass.

A word of advice.

P.S. Maybe he had a good reason for leaving -- like, oh, say, a better job offer or a beef with what might have been a different management team. But I don't know the facts of the case; apparently, you do.

2. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

To be honest man, I honestly don't care about this business anymore. All it's done is give me lousy pay and leave me agitated. So, if my frustration burns a few bridges, then so be it.

The question here is, why should I respect the business that I've given 110% for when it's payout has been almost zero?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Ian, have you had a full-time job in the business? Have you tried applying at places that aren't in your state. Cast your net wide and you can find something if you can write.

4. thebigd

thebigd Member

Stitch I understand what you're saying, but not sure I always buy it. I've been around for 15-plus years and consider myselfv a solid writer. I check web-sites before I apply for jobs to see what the quality of writing is already on the staff. Many times I know my stuff is better but you don't get a shot because you are from out of state or they see the experience and figure they can't afford you. I've been out in the West my entire life, and I would relish a chance to move to the Midwest or to Texas..

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

For my recent job search, the farther the net I cast, the more responses I got. It was weird in that respect.

6. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Never burn a bridge.

Carry on.

7. DCguy

DCguy Member

Couldn't agree more. Never burn a bridge because this industry changes so much and people bounce around a ton. And never burn a bridge because that could come back to haunt you if a prospective employer doesn't use your suggested references.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

As a former co-worker of mine once said at a press conference where the mayor brought in some financial experts from NYC to tout the city's budget health: "Yeah, they're experts because they're from more than 50 miles away."
    I've lost out on more than one local job, I'm convinced, because the person felt he had to hire from out of town to justify the time and expense of advertising the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted