1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, New Bedford, Mass

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Journalismjobs.com

The Standard-Times, a 30,000-circulation daily and Sunday newspaper in historic New Bedford, Mass., is seeking a dynamic editor to lead its sports department.

The sports editor manages several staffers, freelancers and specialty columnists and will, to some extent, work with staff from our sister paper, The Cape Cod Times. The sports editor will work closely with our photography staff to produce our award-winning section.

In addition to managing the print section — which features a mix of high school, Boston professional, recreational and youth sports coverage — the sports editor will also take responsibility for our online sports coverage on SouthCoastToday.com, including timely updates on important games and events, and managing the content of our vibrant high school sports site, SouthCoastVarsity.com

Qualified candidates must have at least five years of similar experience in daily journalism.

The position offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, 401(k) and paid vacation.

To apply, please send a resume, writing and design samples to Editor Bob Unger, The Standard-Times, 25 Elm St., New Bedford, MA, 02740.

2. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

This is a good paper, with a good mix of pros and high schools (it's not too far from Boston). A good friend of mine works there and he's been pretty happy over the years.

New Bedford isn't the best place to live...but you'd sure get your fill of Portuguese restaurants.

3. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

The sports editor does design here?

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Buckeye, it's 29k weekdays/30k Sundays. Most sports editors do design at 30ks. It's a necessary evil.

Now, here's a red flag for me:

Several? You can't tell me how many people are on staff? Is the next round of cuts coming, oh, in two weeks? And you don't wanna tell me? That struck me as odd.

What also struck me as interesting is that they're posting three jobs at once on jjobs (two are for other newsroom positions). Did they just lift a hiring freeze?

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Sports editor filled from within.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Any idea if they're going to advertise the spot of the person who moved up / moved over?

7. terrier

I wonder...I also applied for another of the three positions advertised, but haven't heard anything on that yet.

8. when did that happen? and filled by whom?

9. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

Terrier-

Don't be surprised if you never hear back from the s-t. They're good at not returning calls, emails, etc.

10. terrier

I found it interesting that none of their brass wanted e-mail.
    I interviewed there for a copy editing job years ago, but it sounds like most of that crew is out.

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Listen, don't be coy, tell us how you really feel ;)

12. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

Hey, it's just my opinion, it's not like I'm hiding behind anything. He knows me, I know him, (I've done some work for him in the past) and I just think that it's disrespectful to the people who applied for the job that they were passed over by a guy who basically just quit on his staff three years ago. I hope he does it again, maybe then the S-T will learn.

Draft saved Draft deleted