1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, New Albany (MS) Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Faithless, May 15, 2008.

1. Faithless

Faithless Member

The New Albany Gazette, located in the heart of the newsmaking Mississippi 1st Congressional District, is once again looking for a sports editor. The departing sports ed has been on the job less than a year. The opening was posted today on the Mississippi Press Association site, so I have no details on why he's leaving or where he's heading. Maybe he's a GOP'er who decided the district's switch to the Democratic Party was more than he could handle.

OK, I'm kidding about that last part.

The sports ed will work in an area that's passionate about high school sports and the rivalries that come with it (city vs. county, one end of the county vs. another, etc.). You're about 30 miles from Ole Miss, but you may not have time to cover the Rebels. Your plate will be full with local sports ranging from preps, junior highs, Park & Rec and a community college (Northeast MS CC) where a majority of the county's top prep athletes attend. The area also has a growing Latino population for the factory jobs around there, and they've created their own sporting activities. New Albany is about 60 miles from Memphis, 30 from Tupelo.

The New Albany area is undergoing a major change. Toyota is constructing a billion-dollar plant in the county, and it'll start spitting out Highlander SUVs in 2010. In a couple of years, you might see some future Fukudomes, Ichiros or Matsuis participating in the local sports scene.

http://www.mspress.org/job_bank/2008/05/14/sports-editor-new-albany-gazette-new-albany-ms/

2. This position seems to change about as regular as the seasons.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Perhaps HH can elucidate on this job, which he probably pwns regularly.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The man who started this thread probably knows more about it than anyone within 15 counties of the place. I'd put good money on it.

5. Faithless

Faithless Member

Three Bags, I was offered that job 23 years ago.

I interviewed for it while attending summer school at Ole Miss and was offered it the next day. But after considering how close I was to my degree and the time I would've spent working in New Albany, I turned it down. Actually, I think I started second-guessing myself while driving back to Oxpatch after the interview. It would've been a decent paper to start out after college, but a daily rag you and I are familiar with offered me a job midway through the fall semester.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You've been there the whole time? Damn. Didn't know that.

7. Faithless

Faithless Member

Yup, I've been here the whole damn time. But that's another story for another day.

Draft saved Draft deleted