1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Nevada, MO

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jun 14, 2007.

1. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

It's been a bad year for the Jayhawk League and writers. I'm leaving Dodge, Joe's leaving Nevada, Liberal lost their writer, and Joplin isn't covering their team all that much.

2. JoeWarren

JoeWarren New Member

Of course Joplin isnt covering much of anything all that much. I'll really miss covering the Griffons, I will say that.

3. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Well, that may not necessarily be so depending on how aggressively you want to cover Cottey College's sports teams. It's an all-female private junior college and it only has volleyball and basketball, although I've heard rumors about it starting up a softball program. And, of course, the Griffons in the summer have plenty of weekend dates. You may not be in the office for 2 1/2 days, but you will probably be doing something those days.

A bit of an oddity is that our "Sunday" paper is actually printed Saturday around noon, so things going on Saturday, even early stuff, will have to be held all the way until Tuesday.

4. JoeWarren

JoeWarren New Member

Cottey frequently has Saturday games, in the summer the Griffons often have games all weekend and there's the 10 Chiefs home dates (preseason included). Add Monday high school sports dates and the time isn't necessarily off like apeman said. Besides, I just meant you don't have to come in on Monday, although I often drop in for at least a few hours to do some organization and any other work that needs to be done. The beauty of it is I get to set my own schedule on when I get stuff done, as long as things get covered and deadlines are met.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the chiefs give you guys credentials?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i can't recall seeing any 3k-a-day papers in an nfl press box. not saying it's right or wrong ...

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i just looked ... there are no 3k-a-day papers where i come from. i guess that would explain plenty.

8. JoeWarren

JoeWarren New Member

There aren't many 3k papers that get the privilege we've had. I have heard of other papers getting turned down by the Chiefs. Again, I am sure it has to do with the fact our paper has been covering them since the team moved to Kansas City from Dallas. We had a guy before me that had been in my position for almost 30 years and our presence (as small as it may be) has been there as long as the Chiefs have. FWIW, the Royals have been easy to work with as well, although I don't get a season credential for them but have to go on a game-by-game basis.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's tremendous that an NFL team looks out for the small papers in its area. Though the pessimist in me thinks the only way that happens is if you've got a long-standing seat like Joe said, or the team's PR director worked his way up from a small gig and likes taking care of the smaller media.

As for teams that don't credential those papers...maybe it should be pointed out to them that some small-circ reporters would do a whole lot more with the seat than some sports-radio guys who never lift a pen during a game.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

From what I've heard, the Chiefs and Royals are pretty good about giving credentials because they enjoy the coverage. The Cards and Rams are much more difficult to work with...again, just what I've heard.

11. Is there much competition to cover the Royals? I couldn't imagine papers from across the country are beating down the press box door....

Also, not to continue the threadjack, but if you want a strange pronunciation, try Norfolk in Nebraska. According to natives it's pronounced Nor-fork. Confused the heck out of me for a few weeks.

12. JoeWarren

JoeWarren New Member

If you're interested you better get on this one quick, they are starting to line up interviews. If you're a young buck just starting out you'd better be an effin stud to think you'll do much better than this. As said before, the combination of company to work for, new equipment, editorial freedom and chance to get your feet wet with the pro sports is hard to beat. The biggest downside is the pay, but you've got to remember what field you're in.

Draft saved Draft deleted