1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Nevada (Mo.) Daily Mail.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by wickedwritah, Sep 16, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Where's ghandithegreat when you need him?

From jjobs.com:
    Company: Nevada Daily Mail
    Position:
    Seeking sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    October 20, 2007
    Job ID: 392691

Description:
    Sports editor wanted The Nevada Daily Mail and Sunday Herald-Tribune in Nevada, Mo., has an immediate opening for a full- time sports editor to cover high school sports throughout Vernon County, the Nevada Griffons college-league baseball team and other sports-related activity, including occasional coverage of professional sports as time permits. This position provides the opportunity to write about and photograph a wide variety of sports year-round. Sports journalism background strongly preferred. Page design experience with Quark Xpress is required. Some photography experience preferred — sports editors are often required to take their own photos. Must relocate to Vernon County, Mo. To apply, send a resume and three writing samples to: Editor, Nevada Daily Mail and Herald, 131 S. Cedar, Nevada, MO 64772; by e-mail to editor@nevadadailymail.com; or by fax to (417) 667-3817. E-mail samples should be pasted into the text of the e-mail — no attachments, please (except photos), and NO PHONE CALLS.

(Bolding added for emphasis.)

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Wasn't this open three to four months ago?

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

To those applying, this place isn't pronounced like the state. It's Knee Veyda, not Na Vada

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I thought the guy from Parsons took this gig.

If it were a little closer to KC, I'd take a bite.

Incidentally, my great grandfather and his mother both died in the insane asylum they used to have there.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The Veyda is correct, but the first syllable is still Na.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Correct, I got myself confused saying it in my head so many times and trying to spell it phonetically.

I'm pretty sure the family of an editor I used to work with used to own this paper. That's all I got about this gig.

7. $20,000-$25,000 .... hmmm, I can smell those ramen noodles now ....

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

All I can say is that guy earned his early exit. It can be a good job because the publisher and the ME will trust you to do the job. The publisher was an athlete herself in high school for Nevada and understands the importance of sports. LOCAL is highly important (Chiefs, Royals and Mizzou are OK but you don't have to go beyond that unless you need to kill some space). On Sundays, Nevada and Fort Scott, Kan., 20 miles west, combine for the Sunday paper. If you take it, the guy in Fort Scott can help you with the transition on that part of it.

You'll have five high schools to cover, if I recall correctly. Nevada is the only one with football. The others are Bronaugh, Sheldon, Northeast Vernon County and Hume. Also Cottey College, which is a female-only junior college that has just three sports. Also Nevada Middle School athletics although I don't think they worry too much about that. Briefs every so often. (Add another four high schools for the Sunday edition, which actually prints Saturday afternoon)

You can decide if you want to whether you want to expand the coverage area to include Rich Hill and El Dorado Springs (They both have football). I think Mack intended to but wasn't able to do so.

There's a local dirt track speedway and the Sunday paper will usually have a racing page (local, Nascar and such).

Brand new iMacs with OS X. You have a part-time photo who can take pics of football and basketball at the least but you'll have to do some of your photos, too.

And it's nuh-VAY-duh. That's how I say it, anyways.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

For some perspective, Mapquest says it's 95 miles to KC and 200 to Columbia.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

There's a women's junior college? Never heard of that.

11. jla74m

jla74m Member

I had an interview at this newspaper. The company was pretty neat. But the environment of the town screamed sh*thole!

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

earned his early exit? did he get a get out of jail free card?

Draft saved Draft deleted