1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor Needed

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mattgut, Nov 8, 2011.

1. KennethMister

KennethMister New Member

I'm not sure if there's a deadline, per se. But I would get it in ASAP. And it wouldn't hurt to try. We only have one team left in high school football playoffs, but basketball and soccer is in full swing so I'm sure Matt wants someone immediately after I leave.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Something may be cooking with this one fairly soon.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Word is out that this one is done.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Quick question...on these afternoon papers why couldn't an SE work a 4 p.m. to 1 a.m. shift and get his section completed before he left for the night. That seems more workable than being in the office morning and night...that leaves you with absolutely no life.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's highly possible and done in some places. However, production in many shops like this doesn't begin until the morning and there are snafus many times.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

When I was stringing for a PM paper, my deadline was something like 5 AM.

There are different ways it can work. You can go to a night game, go out to dinner, write leisurely (if you're a nightowl like me) and then come in the office and do pages early AM. Or you could do the usual evening shift and send the pages before you go home. It's rare that they would require a makeover. If you're a one or two-man shop, you can find ways to make it work for everyone. For me personally, no way in Hades would I take a job (in ANY business) that required me to be in the office at 6AM regularly. But I know other people who think it's insane to work past midnight, too.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm just looking at helping people avoid that double shift thing...seems crazy to be at a game until 9 p.m., then back in the office at 6 a.m. When going on vacation I'm often able to grab into the hold bucket and work pages several issues in advance to at least make the load a little lighter on the part-timer stepping in to fill the gaps while I'm out.

It's a hot topic for me, because my first job wanted me to sit at my desk from 9-5 then go out and cover the events "on my own time", which was absolutely ridiculous. Three months and I was off to somewhere else.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Slavery ended in 1865.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My first job was a PM paper. I LOVED the split shift. Work 7-11:30, sleep in the afternoon, cover a game in the evening, either write afterward or go to sleep and write at 6. It was perfect for me.

10. KennethMister

KennethMister New Member

Hours are mornings and night due to the the production department's hours. You can't complete pages unless they're at work. So usually I'm at work at 7:30 a.m. to layout pages and out at night covering games. The position has been filled now, though, I think.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Certain managerial types might beg to differ.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My first daily was a PM paper. I made the split shift work, although I wasn't crazy at getting in at 6 a.m. A small part of me liked leaving at 10 a.m., when everyone else got in at 7 and had to stay until 3 unless they had a night meeting or something.

Just like you Ijag, I'd go home, eat breakfast, take a snooze, do something fun in the afternoon while everyone else was still at work, then go do one or two things in the office and go to the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted