1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor Needed

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mattgut, Nov 8, 2011.

1. mattgut

mattgut New Member

Sports Editor
    The Delta Democrat Times seeks a sports editor who is eager to help shape the sports pages at one of Mississippi’s most well respected newspapers. The DDT is a Pulitzer prize-winning 6-day newspaper in the Delta of Mississippi that is committed to community journalism. This position will focus completely on the sports section of the paper and will be yours to shape. Page layout experience a must; Quark XPress experience preferred. We are an afternoon paper so hours vary depending on school sports.

The DDT is a part of Emmerich Newspapers, a family-owned operation which has more than 20 papers mostly throughout Mississippi. We offer a comprehensive employment package that includes Medical, Dental, a 401-K with company match, and two weeks of paid vacation. Salary range is 28k-32k per year. Send resume and clips to Sports Editor, Delta Democrat Times, 988 N. Broadway, Greenville, MS 38701; or email to mguthrie@ddtonline.com.

2. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

The Delta is a very unique place, to say the least. My question is this: With a 6-day-a-week publication, how much help do you have? Assistant sports editor, sports reporters? Stringers or part-timers?

3. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I saw the thread title and immediately thought of about 25 applicable places ... carry on.

4. newspaperman

newspaperman Member

And I just saw this: It's an afternoon paper, which means you work early mornings and late nights. I've seen these kind of slave-shops where employees work 6 and 7 days a week for $30k. From the look of their website, only one person writes, so I'm guessing the guy that's leaving decided he was ready to have a real life. Like the previous poster said, "carry on," mattgut. Carry on.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

$30g? In my dreams.

Oh, and for the millionth time, you really need to put the city and/or paper in the thread title.

6. Does anyone know anything about the newspaper and details or where the current SE may be going/doing?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What happened to the last SE? Quit, move up or get booted out the door?

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The Mississippi Delta was shining like a national guitar, and all of a sudden, he went to Graceland.

Memphis, Tennessee.

And never came back.

Is my guess.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Perhaps he met a girl in New York City, who calls herself the human trampoline ...

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

The last SE got a raise and took his talents to a local college.

11. KennethMister

KennethMister New Member

My last day at this gig will be Nov. 30. Getting out of the business. PM me for details.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

KM ... You're out Nov. 30? When is application deadline? My guess is they want to hire asap, so is a New Englander looking to relocate out of the running due to distance?

Draft saved Draft deleted