1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor needed: Lumberton, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BYUSportsGuy, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt Dukeman is Donnie. The bottom line is some people aren't going to like Donnie or the way he runs the paper. Some people will be OK with both. If you have any interest in the job, it's up to you to figure out which category you fall in.

As far as the job opening a lot, well it's a small paper. Lots of people just move up. When I left it was for a significantly bigger paper.I know one guy died while working there so that created an opening a few years ago. Also Lmberton isn't the kind of town where most people want to settle down.

2. Khary McGhee

Khary McGhee New Member

I worked at The Robesonian for two years — about a year as sports editor — before recently leaving the business for good.

About the job: It's hard. Takes a special kind. But if you're willing to put in the time and be very, very adaptable and malleable it can work. Don't expect to have a life. But you don't have to worry about that in Lumberton.

About Donnie: We had good days and bad days. But he's a good guy, and I consider him a friend. He's looked out for me when he didn't have to. I appreciate that.

About turnover: Jake is on the money. This isn't a destination paper. There would be something wrong if there wasn't a lot of turnover, even in the sports editor position.

3. dark_helmet

dark_helmet New Member

I did some time in Lumberton fresh out of college. It wasn't great, but I got a paycheck and it got me a better job (eventually). Sounds like a few things have changed since I left, but a lot of them remain very much the same.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Three sports editors in three years is scary...makes me wonder about the value of this job.

5. SammyB

SammyB New Member

Folks, it's been a long while since I've worked at The Robesonian and for Donnie Douglas, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth. Donnie is a frat brother and a long-time friend. Hard-headed and opinionated, he is. Loud at times, oh yes. But he's trustworthy, dedicated and extremely loyal, too. That combo may not be some people's cup of tea. I'm old and may be out of touch, but I think finding a perfect boss in this or any other business is rare.

As for working at The Robesonian and living in Robeson County, I haven't done either for many years. But I still live and work just up the road in Fayetteville and still spend time in Robeson County from time to time. Being sports editor at The Robesonian is a bear of a task. But it was a great opportunity for me to learn things about production, design, organization, communication and even writing that have served me fairly well so far. You can't help but develop a great work ethic at places like The Rob because you do all the work.

Robeson County has its share of negatives. But the people there truly love their sports, and if you do a good job covering them at the newspaper they'll embrace you forever.

OK, before this essay gets any longer, just let me say in my experience The Robesonian was a great place to learn and get a career started. And if you come in for an interview, get Donnie to give you a ride around town in that cool covertible of his! ....

Sammy Batten
    Robesonian alum, circa 1988

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

spoken like a frat brother...what an endorsement...geesh!!!

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

When you know more than Sammy Batten does in the Cape Fear region of North Carolina, please come back with something a little more informed, OK?

And no, I'm not Sammy.

8. dukeman26

dukeman26 New Member

Talked to donnie last night. Position is filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted