1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor needed: Lumberton, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BYUSportsGuy, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Is it any wonder why places like Lumberton and Martinsville, and Roswell can't keep people?

2. dukeman26

dukeman26 New Member

When I was at The robesonian, there was not much turnover. But Donnie wanted people to move on, he saw the job as a rung and not a destination.
    Gator is right though, Donnie knew everybody and often he was their first call. But he never asked me to do anything I consider illegitimate. I can't remember all the details but I do remember there was an issue with a high school coach who he was buddies with, a question about a player's eligibility. I got the call and went into Donnie's office and asked him what to do. He said get the story -- and we did. Turned out to be untrue, but it was clear to me that Donnie wasn't going to stop the story because the coach was his friend.
    Again, I understand Gator's experience. But I never considered it a problem if someone called Donnie first and he made suggestions. He was the boss.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Last four words are key there dukeman. Good point that a lot of people don't seem to understand.
    I wouldn't know this guy if he walked in and smacked me in the head. I've heard good things about him.
    But none of that matters.
    He is the boss. Part of what they do is assign stories.

4. dukeman26

dukeman26 New Member

I am only trying to be helpful to those who might consider this opportunity. There are reasons why it would not suit everyone, but I don't think Donnie is a reason. They have more to do with the pay, location and company.
    The guy is a good journalist, he pushed people -- and he cares about the product. But it would not be the best place for someone who thinks they know it all. Donnie was pretty much hands off when I was there, but that is b/c he believed we did a nice job. He also fought hard to get people raises. I was even told he voted in a department head meeting to share the bonuses with employees, but was voted down. That information didn't come from him either. One of the other department heads was upset b/c he felt it almost cost him some money and he told someone who told me.
    Some of what is said here bothers me b/c I know Donnie cared about his employees, I think a point that was made by the poster in Mississippi.

5. designbigboi

designbigboi New Member

Dukeman sure comes on here and defends this guy real quick and he is new. I wonder if they are the same person.
    I was thinking of applying for this position because I work at a weekly in Louisiana and we probably won't make it through the month.

This guy seems to jade people though so I think I'll stay away.

6. GatorChomp16

GatorChomp16 New Member

I agree with designbigboi. dukeman is awfully defensive of the guy...defensive enough to make me think "the boss" is posting for himself.

I'm just pointing out the position the sports editor will be in. Donnie helped me a lot. My first editor at that paper was really only concerned with design and rarely, if ever, worked weekend. Very hands off. So dukeman — er, Donnie — stepped in and would help me with stories. He was good about that.

So if this were a staff position, I wouldn't say a word. But this is the editor's job, and Moderator1, last time I checked, section editors are "the boss" of their sections. I'm pointing out that Donnie doesn't allow the editor to be the boss of his section, that he's basically the sports editor. Essentially, the sports editor is a salaried staffer expected to work well over 40 hours a week for pay that doesn't compensate the extra time. Not to mention you're essentially on call.

This is a thread about the sports editor position. dukeman, if he's indeed not Donnie, I take it was never the sports editor.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

My head hurts from the bickering. Obviously, there are problems here. Otherwise, why is the position open so often?

8. dukeman26

dukeman26 New Member

Gator, I was sports editor. Design, call Donnie. As for me being him, nope. I did talk to him last week. He is aware of this thread, but donnie would come on here as himself.
    I just think it would be a good opportunityfor the right person, and I would hate to see someone pass on it b/c of what they read here.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

dukeman, the only trend that I see is that this opening keeps coming up. If the job is so great, why does that happen?

10. dukeman26

dukeman26 New Member

Drip
    I don't think I every said the job is great. I think I said there are real concerns about the location, the pay and even the company. When I worked there, it was a different company, but I know what I have heard.
    I don't know how often it has "opened up" and we didn't talk about that, but I know that when donnie hired me he talked about a two year commitment. The job is burnout city. Gator is right about the sports editor being expected to log 50 to 55 hours a week. Donnie always said I could rest in the summer.
    The good things about the job is it offers a chance to run a department, edit copy, experiment with layout, expand the writing portfolio.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So the poster with one post and the poster with four posts are dubious about a poster because he only has 26 posts. That's what the scoreboard reads, right?

Don't know much about Lumberton, but it's pretty fairly close to South of the Border, si?

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's 27 miles from Lumberton to the famed South of the Border tourist trap on I-95.

Draft saved Draft deleted