1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor needed: Lumberton, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BYUSportsGuy, Jul 1, 2009.

1. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

From jjobs.com...

Company: The Robesonian
    Position: Seeking Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 5, 2009
    Job ID: 1068111

Description:
    The Robesonian, a daily newspaper in Southeastern North Carolina, is looking for a sports editor. The successful applicant will have strong layout and editing skills, and must also provide leadership for a three-person staff. A journalism degree is preferred, but not required. Experience in sports journalism is a must. This is not an entry-level position. The coverage is mostly high schools, with some college. Send resume and work samples to Donnie Douglas, editor, The Robesonian, P.O. Box 1028, Lumberton, N.C. 28359. That information can be e-mailed to ddouglas@heartlandpublications.com.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

This has been up before. A lot has been said about Douglas and heartland. All I'm going to say is that it is a job and there aren't many of them left for sports scribes.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

A journalism degree is preferred, but not required.

============================================

Thanks for kicking to the curb the piece of paper I put myself in hock to get.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

::) ::)

*Biting lip until it bleeds ...*

5. esport12

esport12 Member

Anyone have any specifics on this job?

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Maybe they mean a guy like me, with a finance degree, could qualify.

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I hope that's what they mean, three_bags. Hopefully it's not like the situation I came up against in my prior shop, where I interviewed for the ME spot and it went to one of our stringers, who not only had no journalism degree, but no degree period.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know for the most part this is a crummy job. My question is DO THE INTEND to make a hire before the first snowfall?

9. dukeman26

dukeman26 New Member

I actually held this job for about two years. The job is not crummy. It is a good job for someone is trying to get into a management position. The pay is probably crummy. Some people would say Lumberton is crummy, but I made the most of it. I don't know much about Heartland, but what I hear is not good. At least they appear to be hiring, however.

The job is mostly high schools, but Donnie Douglas, the editor, did encourage us to try to cover some ACC football, basketball, NASCAR, pro football when time allowed. He felt that was important for our experience. There wasn't much time to do it though as six high schools and UNCP kept a three-man staff pretty busy.
    I enjoyed working for Donnie, but I worked hard and took my job seriously. Those who didn't suffered his wrath at times.

When I felt it was time to leave, I walked into Donnie's office and told him so. He then began a campaign to get me to the next level by calling editors on my behalf and I think he was critical in landing me my next job. He took pride in editing young people's copy and trying to get them placed in better jobs. I think he saw that as his role.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Was open a little over a year ago. The thread at that time was memorable mainly because the editor came here via a proxy to defend himself from a cheap shot somebody took at him.

It's a Heartland paper ... so that's one major black mark already. M-F p.m., Saturday-Sunday a.m.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was a memorable thread. The defense through proxy wasn't quite what it seemed, though. If your boss asks to use your SportsJournalists.com screen name, are you going to tell him no?

12. This is why your boss doesn't need to know your SportsJournalists.com screen name.

Draft saved Draft deleted