1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Nantucket

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DENNY, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And what else did Helen give you? :D

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Lucky you, PB, getting set up with a plane ride to the island. Sure beats the lengthy boat ride (does the boat even run that time of year?).

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

one last time.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html -- gives you a rough estimate on what you salary is worth in a different town, as in "if you make $10,000 in Butthole Town, you would need $11,245 to live on in Smellpoo Springs"

In this example, I took the $40,000 max salary at Nantucket (actually, the closest I could get on the site was Hyannis), and applied it to some cities to see just how sweet that 40 large really is. Here's what $40,000 there is equivalent to elsehwere:

Charlotte -- $26,475
    Raleigh -- $26,888
    Richmond -- $28,651
    Alexandria, Va. -- $43,595
    Baltimore -- $29,906
    Manhattan -- $64,407
    Manhattan, Kan. -- $23,652
    Austin, Texas -- $29,414
    Olympia, Wash -- $31,608
    Wheeling, W. Va. -- $24,876

Just as a frame of reference: I'd bet that if Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard were in there, the numbers would drop for the other cities.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Do you get to cover the annual Sleighride?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Whose love is given over well shall look on Helen's face in hell. Whereas those whose love is thin and wise shall see John Knox in paradise.

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

i like the new quick reply function

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Anyone ever covered a game on Catalina Island in Cali? I haven't, but would think it to be a good story to do someday

Draft saved Draft deleted