1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Mt. Vernon, Ill.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Register-News in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, seeks a qualified candidate for the position of sports editor. We are a community newspaper in the truest sense of the phrase and are looking for someone who will provide coverage of all our schools in Jefferson County. We want someone who can provide coverage of sports well beyond the final scores, someone who will help us cover non-traditional sports as well as recreational sports.

Mt. Vernon is located in the heart of hoops-crazy Southern Illinois, 70 miles east of St. Louis and roughly the same distance west of Evansville, Ind. Carbondale is a short drive down I-57, and Champaign is roughly two hours to the north.

The successful candidate must have QuarkXPress experience and the sense of urgency required for immediate postings to our Web site. Video for our Web site is important to us and we want someone capable and willing to provide such content. Send a resume and five clips to: Jeremy Hall, Register-News, 911 Broadway, Mt. Vernon, IL, 62864. Or e-mail jeremy.hall@register-news.com

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Run like the wind, kiddos.

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

to it or away from it? i think i know...

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Away. Had a friend who worked there.

5. HoosierSE

HoosierSE New Member

From what I have gathered the sports editor that was there just up and left. Didn't give a notice. There was little to no warning. From what I was told by someone on the inside is that he just left.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

As opposed to just saying run like the wind, maybe someone could just offer up some specifics as to the challenges of the job.
    And no, I'm not interested in applying. Just saying, that's all.

7. Fenix031

Fenix031 New Member

This sounds like a one-man department. On top of that they want you to cover all the district's sports, recreational sports, update the Web, do layout and then throw some video in there. Did the last SE quit or die from exhaustion?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

He sounds like a smart man.

9. I've seen the paper. Whoever was running the show there wasn't dying from exhaustion, I assure you.

10. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

Oh snap!

11. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I just want to say something here. I am a recent grad and I chose to get away from journalism, but I notice that like 95% of the jobs posted here are met with "run like the wind" or "do not want." The jobs aren't growing on trees, guys. Maybe a shitty section is an opportunity for someone to be the first to make it less shitty? Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. I just think with all the pessimism around here, coupled with the job market, an opportunity is an opportunity. You can get something out of a shitty job if you try to make it something more. At least that's how I try to look at it.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

$20,000 per year to work 60-70 hours a week writing stories, shooting pictures, editing video and keeping a website stocked with content.

You're worth more than that as a human being. I don't give two shits how badly you want to be in this field. If you show you'll work that hard for that kind of cash, then you're setting yourself up for an abysmal, poor — but thankfully short — life.

So run, run like the wind.

Draft saved Draft deleted