1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Mountain Home, Ark.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Gob Bluth

Gob Bluth Member

I really think they should just advertise this as a lifestyle section. They might actually get somebody to take the job then.

2. and they shouldn't even advertise it as an "editor" position, just a writer

3. still no one hired, I presume

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Mountain Home in San Bernardino is close to burning with the wildfires raging in SoCal.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I hope Pine Cove and Idyllwild are safe. Those places are awesome.

6. I just noticed that this job has been placed on jjobs again. Makes a person wonder why.....

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just give the job to Erik Estrada. He's obviously hurting for gigs.

8. I think the head maroons at Gannett need to check in on this. Why should it be difficult to get a sports editor (its been a month now) and how come more than half the newsroom has quit in the last year.

I've never run a company before and even the dumbest fucker at Gannett can figure out there is a problem here.

9. One would think that if they were reallly desperate in needing a sports editor, they would try to go through the channels and try to woo somebody there. Surely there is somebody in Arkansas or in the southern parts of Missouri that would fill the need.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd imagine that this job will be open for awhile.
    Some places are just hard to hire, and this is one of them.
    Not a large town to begin with, and geographically isolated from the rest of the world. If I was the G, I'd invest in some technology and have the page design and editing in Springfield. And co-op a writer, stick'em in Fayetteville and cover the Hogs for both papers and the main high school for Mt. Home. Call him or her SE and be done with it.
    So instead of paying that person C-4 or whatever Mt. Home is, you can pay at the Springfield level.

11. woopigphooey

woopigphooey New Member

This paper has ruined its entire reputation in the state of Arkansas with sports writers, hence that's why they can't find anyone to take it.
    Also, Gannett implements its plans and procedures from much larger markets and expects it to work somewhere it won't.

12. Gannett has ruined it so much and I can't imagine it even making a profit now, not like it was 8-9 years ago. They just need to sell it. Anyone remember the last time Gannett had a paper in the state of Arkansas and what happened then???

Draft saved Draft deleted