1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Mountain Home, Ark.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Heavens to Murgatroid, I think that was it! Must be where I heard it first.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That does it greatmooglygoofly .... you're hired!

3. speaking of which, has anyone heard if the Bulletin has replaced Gene yet?

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I thought great googly moogly was a Ned Flanders thing?

5. Stupid

Stupid Member

that's hey diddly iddly

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Hey, Homer, I can see your doodle!

Shut up, Flanders.

7. lurking

lurking New Member

The SE's job in Mountain Home was my first job out of college. It paid $5 an hour (thank God it was a six-day a week gig with 5 hours of OT a week guaranteed). Of course, that was nearly 20 years ago, so I know next-to-nothing about the paper now. For a long time, though, it was considered a very good paper for its size. One thing interesting when I was there was the fact that they didn't publish on Sundays. Don't know if that's changed or not. As for the town itself, it was gorgeous. Clean, quiet, laid-back. If you're a big-city type, it's not for you. But if you're looking for a slower pace, this is the place. And what's been posted about the travel is absolutely true. You can't go anywhere ... and I mean anywhere ... without driving at least an hour. That'll get you to Harrison, which is the heart of KKK country. To get to Fayetteville or Little Rock, it's gonna take at least 3 hours. And it is a retirement community, with a bunch of folks who sold their house in Illinois, Wisconsin, etc. and bought the same house in Mountain Home for a quarter of the price. Anyway, that's my two cents — which is about what you can expect to make there.

8. Harrison is not the heart of KKK land. I know more racists in Memphis than in Harrison... or Mountain Home for that matter. I think just because some dumb fuckstick who calls himself the grand poobah of the KKK (or whatever) who actually lives in Zinc, not Harrison but is nearby, everyone assumes they are all like that fucker. He's not even a native to Harrison or to Arkansas for that matter.

Not that I am saying Harrison is any better or worse than Mountain Home. Having lived in each place at least once, I probably would pick MH if they just didn't have all those damn old yankee fuckers there. That just kills it. Harrison has its annoying people too, but at least they are native.

And yes the Bulletin has radically changed in 20 years, not no where near the same. Once Gannett came in and Bob Qualls was forced out, that signaled the end.

And I forgot what we were talking about

9. lurking

lurking New Member

You're right googly. Harrison is a wonderfully progressive place. Anyway, do you have any idea where Bob Qualls is now?

10. yes, he is the public relations director at Lyon College. He is the one to hire Gene McCoy to come down to Batesville to be the college's SID.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

second time for hf

12. I'm guessing there is STILL no sports editor at the Bulletin yet. Normally I would say that is terrible considering football season is upon us, but since they don't cover sports anymore I guess it doesn't matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted