1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Mountain Home, Ark.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jersey_Guy, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I know nothing of this paper, but I do know a tad about the location. And if the job entails covering Mountain Home High School, make sure the driver's seat of your car has a nice butt-groove going. They're one of those schools that is screwed by its location...no matter what conference it's in, there's always some long hauls.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Has anyone gotten e-mails of inquiry from this paper?

3. Not a word so far.

4. Okay, I don't know one thing about the paper or Moutain Home - but I have been to Hot Springs. And it's not terrible at all. But, if getting toHot Springs (nice places to eat, gambling at horse track, women glad to meet an outsider, a nice downtown arena and that's it) for the weekend is as good as your life is going to get in central arkansas, then I'd consider quality of life issues for anybody not from that part of the world.

5. Songbird

I should've asked if anyone else has gotten an e-mail from the editor out of the blue. I think my jjobs resume is still up.

6. Gob Bluth

Gob Bluth Member

yeah, I got an email today about the job.

7. Songbird

think they'd pay $34-$35K a year?

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

just a heads up, but isn't this Gannett?

9. anonymousbob

anonymousbob New Member

Mountain Home is a great little town, if you love to hunt and fish, or are looking to retire. It is remote as hell and the high school does have to travel all over. But again the hunting and fishing are world class. As for salary I wouldn't expect much more than mid 20's. Their design is outdated and looks small-townish.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Songbird, I'm assuming your question about whether they pay 34-35K is a joke ...

11. Songbird

Well, it's what i make now, so I'd wanna make the same. I'd certainly produce.

12. Gob Bluth

Gob Bluth Member

Actually the call I got today was about just a sports reporter spot and not the editor job. If you want to do team sports beware, because she wants to focus on "Life Sports." Like jogging, hiking and so on. I asked was this a weekly focus? She said, "I would like to see at least three stories a week."
    She thinks that nobody would read the sports pages if they just focused on the high school teams in the area. Just thought I would you let you know.

Also, I asked about salary and she said 10-11 dollars a hour.

Draft saved Draft deleted