1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Morganton, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

9,000-circulation, six-day (S-F) daily in western North Carolina needs manager for local sports coverage. The sports editor supervises and coordinates 8-10 experienced freelance writers and photographers. High concentration on four high schools' sports. $24-$28,000 depending on experience. Send cover letter and resume to Editor Steve Welker, swelker@morganton.com.

2. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

this one was posted pretty recently, if i recall

3. bl67550

bl67550 Member

It was up last August shortly after the previous sports editor, who I worked under as a freelancer for a time, left house for another opportunity...never heard exactly where he went to..but o well.

I applied in September I think and never heard anything back after speaking personally with the head editor (decided to stay in school another year instead anyways), I am not even sure they actually ever filled the position at any point since then.

This could be a great gig for the right person, there have been some great teams to cover in prep sports in the area recently, I had the privilege of covering men's and women's basketball for Freedom High in 2008 and a new second year school..Patton High...made the state playoffs(finals actually) in baseball the same school year.

Unfortunately, the sports coverage of late does not well-represent the talented teams in the area.

4. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Absolutely beautiful part of the country.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Love your avitar. Charles Barkley once said about Sager, "That's it. I draw the line when pimps start interviewing players."

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Burke County is a really, really nice place. Almost went there about 10 years ago, which seems a lifetime now. Hickory isn't too terribly far away to the east, and Asheville is a reasonable drive to the west.

Should be plenty to do between East Burke and Freedom, with Patton now giving the SE a third school for coverage.

7. bl67550

bl67550 Member

Draughn High is in there as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted