1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Montgomery Advertiser

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by slappy4428, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah, this is true and somewhat old. Wanda Lloyd has taken some hits, a few justifiable, but she too is a Gannettoid. And that is the problem. It doesn't matter if Jimmy Cannon came back from the grave, he too would have to conform to the Gannett way or leave.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Define "the Gannett way." That is not a challenge or a disagreement, that is a question.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's being too corporate with both the product and views. What's good for Gannett as a company isn't necessarily good for the area where they have papers.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah, what might sound good in Herndon, Va., might possibly be a bad idea in, say, Shreveport.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I'm left wondering if they actually make an outside hire on this one, considering the impending layoffs.
    From the Gannett point of view, it makes more sense to promote from within and eliminate a position.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

They won't eliminate the position. Water it down, I can see that, but not eliminate. This will be done from within the Gannett family. That's the way its done, as a reward of sorts.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pretty confident of that, are you, or is that just more of the usual throw it against the wall and see what sticks?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Slappy, there are few if any people who post on here who can tell you what will actually happen. If I knew what will happen, I damn sure wouldn't be posting here and if could see in the future, I'd be doing more than pulling lint out of my pocket. Like you, I'm just giving an opinion of the situation.
    If you know more about what will happen and care to share, please do. If you are on the outside looking in, like many along here are, then share your speculation if that pleases you.
    At any rate, I'm glad there is another job opening out there. The business needs a few more.

9. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

But that's what's shocking about this whole thing. On Dec. 3 (or Dec. 10, depending on which shop you're at), Gannett is making a 10% cut in the newspaper division among all their 80-or-so community newspapers. Yet, at least a dozen or so Gannett jobs come up every week.

So, what's the deal? They're gonna cut 10% of their workforce, but they're still hiring? Yeah, OK.

I think Montgomery will hire from within their department and consolidate that person's position. That's the Gannett way -- "promote" someone to make it look like you're rewarding loyalty, then streamline the department by never actually replacing the departed SE.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Someone please explain the "Gannett way" please. Also, any idea what this might pay?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You assume someone inside that department would want it.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Well, in most Gannett shops, it's not whether you want it or not, you pretty much have to take it.

I've seen it happen quite a few times at my Gannett stops, where a person is "promoted" and is usually the last to know. I shit you not. Just recently, we had someone "promoted" to a newly created position and that person found out when everybody else did, when the newsroom-wide e-mail went out congratulating said person on said promotion.

I don't think anyone at the Advertiser would want that position, especially knowing what they know about that power struggle. But it may not be their choice in the end. Sad to say, but it happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.