1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor: Montgomery Advertiser

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Rockbottom, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

From the Rockbottom pipeline (where a side order of bittnerness is free, according to some folks ...)

Montgomery, Ala., is looking for a new sports editor. Ben Thomas has accepted a copy editing job in Mobile, and starts there soon.

According to folks, it stems from recent changes made by the paper (i.e. Gannett) and not for the better. After said changes were made, allegedly, three news reporters quit on the spot. Also, several other employees' resumes are being updated.

Fire away.

rb

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I heard Gannett is having a lot of shakeups/changes going on lately, and most of them aren't going over well. But, here's a bit on the paper......
    Circulation: 49,789 morning; 59,413 Sunday

3. cake in the rain

cake in the rain Active Member

I heard a couple weeks ago that Ben was leaving. But I thought his spot was being filled by someone from another department. Anyone have specific details?

And, yes, morale is not great at the paper.

4. boots

boots New Member

The Advertiser has long had a lot of potential to be better than it has. But hell, Dothan, Opelika, even dinky Auburn have passed it.
    Gannett could stop its usual crap and using that paper as some sort of A farm team, the Advertiser would be great again. It has an outstanding history.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Would that be Tiffany Bittner-ness? ;D

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Don't Opelika and Auburn get the same paper? The Opelika-Auburn News?

7. boots

boots New Member

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story. We were typing too fast. But you got the meaning of the post. Why be an ass?

8. boots

boots New Member

Right. I said I'm the ultimate ass. No one around here can claim that title.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Boots, I really don't want to get into it with you, but the last week or so, you can't go two consecutive posts without busting on somebody. Did you miss your salted-butt trip to the deer park?

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

yeah. I hate gangin up on anybody on here, but seems like Boots has been in a bit of a mood lately.

11. boots

boots New Member

huh?

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'll fucking lock this one, too.
    Keep the bullshit off the jobs board. I'm tired of it.
    boots, you seem to be in the middle of all this. So how 'bout you stay off this board?
    Any more posts that don't center on the job itself or the paper, the locks go on. This part of the site is a service, for the most part, and not a chat room.

Draft saved Draft deleted