1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor (Monroe, Wis.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Jay Sherman, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

From JJobs: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=952708

Description:
    The Monroe Times, an award-winning 5,000-circulation daily p.m. paper in southwestern Wisconsin, seeks a sports editor. Responsibilities include covering and photographing prep sporting events, deciding content, and editing and designing the sports section on a daily basis. Journalism degree or equivalent knowledge and experience is required, as are strong writing and editing skills and supervisory abilities. This mostly is an afternoon-and-evenings job, with a lot of weekend work covering games. A knowledge of Quark XPress is preferred. Please send resume and work samples by Jan. 15 to Editor Jeff Rogers, Monroe Times, P.O. Box 230, Monroe WI 53566, fax to (608) 328-4217 or e-mail editor@themonroetimes.com. An Equal Opportunity Employer.

2. Re: Sports editor (Monroe, Wisc.)

Monroe is 33 miles West of Beloit, home of the world's largest can of chili.

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Re: Sports editor (Monroe, Wisc.)

Tommy James of Tommy James and the Shondells is from Monroe, Wisc.

"Crimson and Clover"
    "Hanky Panky"
    "Mony Mony"
    The original "I Think We're Alone Now"

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

As you can see by the ad, the position is either open again or they never filled it.

5. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Or a really extended deadline :p

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That's the kind of deadlines I like.

7. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Monroe is home of the Berghoff Brewery, which makes damn fine beer. It's also about 20 minutes south of New Glarus, which makes Spotted Cow, arguably the finest beer ever crafted, though you can only find it in Wisconsin. And it is only about a 40-minute jog to Madison. So location isn't a problem. How well you get paid, I can't answer to.

8. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

No, the last position was for a sports reporter, which they filled. This position is to replace sports editor Chris Heimerman. I know a bit about this paper, so feel free to PM with questions.

9. garethkeenan

garethkeenan New Member

Fun fact about Monroe ... mascot for the local high school is the Cheesemaker.

10. Re: Sports editor (Monroe, Wisc.)

I just reread the posting. A JANUARY 15 deadline? Must be a typo. But did they have to fill this position earlier this year and maybe just reused the ad?

11. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Yeah, I was just kidding.

12. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

My wife's parents live in Monroe, or rather a few miles outside of town...well...it's the worst fucking place in the world. And I like my wife's parents.

Draft saved Draft deleted