1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Miami County (KS) newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HandsomeHarley, Jun 29, 2015.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Editor

Date Posted June 29, 2015
    Location Miami County, Kansas
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary Negotiable
    Website Osawatomie Graphic: Serving Miami, Linn and Franklin Counties since 1888
    Description:
    Miami County Newspapers, which serves the communities of Paola, Osawatomie, Louisburg, Spring Hill and portions of Linn County, is looking for a Sports Editor to help produce content for three award-winning weekly newspapers.

Job responsibilities would include working with our sports coordinator to cover local sporting events, as well as covering some news, writing stories, taking photographs and helping produce the sports pages.

We are looking for someone who is a self-starter, is deadline-driven and is willing to establish the relationships with sources needed to thrive as a community Sports Editor.

Experience is preferred, but we will consider cultivating young talent. Miami County Newspapers is an award-winning chain of three papers — The Miami County Republic, Osawatomie Graphic and Louisburg Herald. We offer a competitive salary and good benefits.

Send a cover letter, resume and at least five clips showing the range of your abilities to Editor/Publisher Brian McCauley, Miami County Newspapers, 121 S. Pearl St., Paola, KS 66071, or by email to brian.mccauley@miconews.com. (Please put your name and Sports Editor applicant in the subject field.)

Does anyone know anything about these papers (pay, personnel)? I understand they do really well in annual awards.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I used to work in the same area (which I'm sure is not a unique trait here). You're on the southern edge of the KC metro and could probably live in one of the southern suburbs and commute to the smaller towns you'd be covering with a roughly 30 minute commute each way.

The coverage would be 95% high school stuff, and whatever else you can dream up in the summer.

I thought the chain seemed solid with good editors running the show. That was about 10 years ago, though. I would guess the job would pay $25-$30,000? 10 years ago I think a starting reporter made roughly $22-$24,000. I'm not sure where "sports editor" and "sports coordinator" fit into things, and I'm not sure why they're not the same person, but I assume they'd make a little more than an average reporter, and I assume they pay more now than they did 10 years ago.

It'd be a good job for someone starting out. You'll learn a ton, about all elements of the business (writing, photography, editing, layout ... dealing with angry parents, picking the important game to cover, basically all of it.) It'd also be a good job for someone settling down in the area looking for work.

3. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Why would a Sports Editor have to cover "some news?"

Clippers Logo likes this.
  4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

These are small, bi-weekly papers in an area in which there's not that much to cover during the summer. Maybe the SE covers other shifts in the summer.

It's like my job. I'm the sports editor but I have to fill in as managing editor when the ME's out. And we're (a small) daily.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

There was a time when I would have loved to work/live here.

If I didn't want out of journalism and into an 8-5 M-F job with, you know, a raise once in a while, I would be all over this.

Draft saved Draft deleted