1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Mellencamp, Iowa

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by vols1998, Feb 28, 2013.

1. vols1998

vols1998 New Member

All it says is Small Town
    Well, you CAN breathe in a small town ... have yourself a ball in a small town ... hell, you'll probably die in a small town ...

Company: Lee Enterprises
    Position:Seeking Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: April 4, 2013

Description:Sports Editor

A small Iowa enterprise, part of the Lee Enterprises chain, is seeking a multi-purpose sports editor who has proven leadership, reporting, design and editing skills and an eagerness to explore new avenues in the world of print and digital journalism.

We place a heavy emphasis on covering local high school sports and we do it in unique, innovative ways. Our sports staff has won multiple INA and APME awards for sports coverage the past couple of years.

Our ideal candidate will be an independent self-starter who can take ownership of the sports section and be a leader in our newsroom. He or she also should have a hunger for enterprise journalism that goes beyond mere game coverage. Multi-media expertise is a plus.

Qualified candidates should have a bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years of experience in a daily newspaper environment.

If interested, please send cover letter and resume with salary requirements to sportseditor@lee.net.

2. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

This job hurts so good.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I would so move there and buy a little pink house.

4. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

Ain't that America?

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Lee Enterprises ... ugh

If I was a sports editor at a small town Lee paper in Iowa, I'd be looking over both shoulders when I walked out the front door every morning.

From looking at their website, they only have 4 papers in Iowa: The QC Times and Courier in Waterloo/Cedar Falls probably don't qualify as "small town", and there's Sioux City and Mason City.

6. DancesWithDirt

DancesWithDirt New Member

Really? It doesn't even say the name of the paper or where it is? You can work in some nice areas in Iowa or you could end up in BFE. It'd kinda be nice to know.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

They also have (I think) Muscatine. This might be Mason City or Muscatine; Sioux City's a decent-sized paper (by Iowa standards).

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

They need a sports editor who won't drive them crazy.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A weekly paper?
    For what they'll pay, you'll probably have an interstate running through your front yard. You'll think you've got it good, though.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Ain't even done with the night.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe you can hook up with a real Cougar.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The ad on this page looks like it says "Tough Udder." Lots of those in Iowa.

Draft saved Draft deleted