1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, McComb, Ms

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I got a buddy interviewing for this gig. He's way too qualified for it, but under the circumstances, well, I know why he's doing it.

2. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Yes, it does have some ugly historical moments, like many towns throughout the South, and none should ever be ignored.

However, judging 2009 Philadelphia, Miss., by 1964 Philadelphia, Miss. standards would be unfair and inaccurate for the most part. If you are ever back there around Meridian, you can always check out the eternal flame that burns near the gravesite of James Chaney, which exists as a reminder of old Mississippi and a symbol of how far its come.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

I was there the first of the year. Yes, Philadelphia, Ms 2009 is different than Philadelphia, Ms. 1964. However, I still get chills when I travel on 19.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Did this job get filled?

(Maybe not, it's only been a month)

5. BudMan

BudMan Member

The job is still open.

6. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

anyone else find that odd. in a time of tons of overqualified individuals likely applying for this gig, they can't seem to make a hire?

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Could be the pay and-or the bennies aren't up to snuff, or it could be an issue with the town. McComb isn't exactly one of America's garden spots.

8. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

It's not bad at all if you live in the right place. Don't knock the Magnolia State.

9. albert77

I wouldn't dare knock the state in which I've lived for 26 years. I drive through McComb all the time on my way to my folks' house. It's not a bad little town, just not much happening there except high school sports and Southwest Mississippi Community College a few miles up the road. The E-J is typical small-town daily, not exciting, but functional. They have, or did have, a good outdoors columnist named Ernest Herndon, who was something of a country philosopher and a pretty good writer to boot.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've heard word that they can afford to take their time on making a hire. School is out in a few weeks so there isn't a rush to get someone in right now. However, they'd love to have someone in place by early July to prepare for football season.

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Ernest is still there and still cranking out books and excellent outdoor copy. If you want to know about canoeing on the local rivers, he knows every bend of every river in the area. And canoeing on the Bogue Chitto is a lot of fun.

12. albert77

Never been on the Bogue Chitto, but I've done Black Creek, the Okatoma River and the Wolf River down near Gulfport. There aren't many things in life better than pitching a tent and camping out on a sand bar on Black Creek, deep in the DeSoto National Forest.

Draft saved Draft deleted