1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, McComb, Miss.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bamadog, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=620660

As the former SE there in 2006, I can attest this is a good gig for a young buck fresh out of school. ME Matt Williamson is definitely good people. So is reporter/outdoors man Ernest Herndon. His book on the canoeing rivers of Mississippi is the reference if that's what you like to do.

It's a one-man band, but also on J-jobs is a job opening for a news reporter who'll pitch in during football season. So you won't be completely alone.

There are three public high schools in town: McComb, North Pike in Summit and South Pike down in Magnolia. Parklane Academy is the private school. There are also several schools in the area that get tangential coverage at best.

Also in Summit is the community college.

You're about an hour north of NOLA, which is nice. An hour south of Jackson, if that's your thing. Just across the border in Kentwood, La. is the home of Britney and Jamie Lynn Spears. No, it's not a museum.

PM me with any questions about the area.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not that it means anything but I will vouch for Bama Dog's work in McComb. You will be challenged constantly but the rewards can be great.

3. Zads07

Zads07 Member

This position was reposted today on jj.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=620660

Company: Enterprise-Journal
    Position:
    Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $25,000 to $30,000
    Ad Expires:
    October 15, 2013
    Job ID: 620660

Description:

The Enterprise-Journal, an 8,000-circulation daily paper in McComb, Miss., has an immediate opening for a sports editor. You cover everything from football and basketball to volleyball and track. You need to be a good planner, a good reporter and writer, and be able to design pages under tight deadlines. Establishing good relationships with coaches and recruiting sports correspondents will make your life much easier. McComb is a small town on Interstate 55, and no more than two hours from Jackson, New Orleans, Baton Rouge and the Mississippi Gulf coast. Send your resumé and three references to publisher@enterprise-journal.com.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Apparently, they've had some trouble trying to fill it.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, Parklane Acadmey is the alma mater of Britney Spears, who lived in Kentwood, La. (about 10-15 minutes away from McComb), but crossed over the state line to go to private school in Mississippi.

I gather Parklane is a bit of a white flight kind of private school, as opposed to a highfalutin academic powerhouse.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Bama, as you know, it's a special place. It has its challenges.

Draft saved Draft deleted