1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Maryville, Mo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Maryville Daily Forum, a five-day daily newspaper, located in northwest Missouri, is looking for an enthusiastic and energetic sports editor to cover our national championship university football team, state championship high school football team and a myriad of other successful high school and university-level sports teams. Those with experience in photography and page layout and design will receive preference. Those interested should send resume and examples of past work to: Phil Cobb, General Manager, Maryville Daily Forum, PO Box 188, Maryville, MO 64468 or e-mail: pcobb@maryvilledailyforum.com

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Any idea of the pay scale? I know it's a publisher's market for talent.

3. dm19

dm19 Member

You'd get to cover Northwest Missouri State football. So at least you'd have something awesome to cover while you're working your ass off.

4. beardown

beardown Member

Decent entry-level job for someone single and just out of school. Opportunity is there for great clips/blogs with Northwest always going to the D-II national title game in football. Maryville is a nice town with good high school athletics, too. Money ... well, you can make money at your next job.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

BD -- not in the newspaper biz you can't.
    I've dealt with NW Mo. football coach Mel tjeerdsma on several occasions and he seems like a standup guy, but it's never been on a daily basis, though.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Gatehouse, FWIW

7. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

This would be an ideal first job out of college.
    Plenty of good teams to cover, National Champion DII football team, High School State champion football team, i think the boys and girls bball teams were in the state tournament and maybe the volleyball team too.
    In my opinion there wouldn't be many better guys to cover on a daily basis than Mel Tjeerdsma.
    As for the pay, I was offered the Managing Editor spot there and it was only in the low 30's so I'd guess this is 30 or below. That said, you could live comfortable in the ville for 27k or so.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I see way too many "Ideal first job out of college" openings and not enough "experienced guys only" openings. Guess it's the way of the biz. :-\

9. RFB-Boy

RFB-Boy Member

Experienced guys with good jobs tend to hunker down and remain experienced guys with good jobs -- especially during a recession. I don't think it's a trend exclusive only to journalism.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

It could be a good job for a single, recent graduate, although you'll be a one-man operation unless things have changed. There are pros and cons to that, the pros being you'll learn just about everything and the con being that you might not get much editing. NW Missouri State is a D-II powerhouse and Tjeerdsma was good to deal with when I worked in the area. Maryville's high school teams were also very good back then.
    As for the town? It's small.
    The so-called big town nearby would be St. Joseph, about 45 miles south. Kansas City is about an hour south of St. Joe.

11. Slash

Slash Member

I went to school at NW.
    1. Mel is awesome.
    2. Paper has always struggled with tight budget, turnover etc.
    3. Maryville is a great small town and St. Joe is close and has a mall, eateries etc and KC is about 1.5 hours.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Congrats to Blake Toppmeyer, 2010 Truman State graduate. As stated previously, Northwest football is a beast and not bad preps, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted