1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor, Marysville (Calif.) Appeal-Democrat

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Courtesy: journalismjobs.com

Company: The Appeal-Democrat
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $40,000 to $45,000
    Ad Expires: May 19, 2008
    Job ID: 908716

Description:
    The Appeal-Democrat, an award-winning 22,000 daily in historic Marysville, Calif., is looking for an energetic, passionate sports editor with a broad interest in sports and recreational activities, who can lead a staff to deliver more than just game coverage, in print and on the Web. From prep sports to rodeo and the raceway, summer wooden bat league baseball to hiking, hunting and fishing, the newspaper covers it all. The ideal candidate has at least five years of newspaper experience (including management), Quark Xpress design experience and a sharp writing style. The new sports editor must show a commitment to growing the Appeal-Democrat's high school sports site, advarsitysports.com. The Appeal-Democrat is part of the Freedom Communications Inc. family of newspapers and TV stations. Marysville is located 40 miles north of Sacramento and two hours from the Bay Area and Sierra Nevada. As a valued member of the Freedom family, you will be offered a wide array of health, savings and retirement plans, educational and training programs and employee discount programs. Freedom's benefits and compensation programs are some of the most competitive in the industry. The Appeal-Democrat recently added four area newspapers to its portfolio and is poised for further print and online growth. Check us out at www.appealdemocrat.com. To apply, please send resume, cover letter, samples of work and references to Editor Len La Barth, The Appeal-Democrat, P.O. Box 431, Marysville, CA 95901 or e-mail to llabarth@appealdemocrat.com

2. jps

jps Active Member

That was my initial thought ... what's the cost of living there like? Thinking it must be high enough for the salary to have to be that high?

3. JD

JD Member

The salary isn't bad, but you have to deal with your surroundings. The aroma of meth houses is evident, and that paper has been going through quite a few people in their sports dept. lately, whether it be reporters or editors.

4. Zuri Berry

Zuri Berry New Member

It's actually pretty good. I was thinking of a getting just a one-bedroom apartment there and they were priced at only $550-600 throughout the area. And I mean good apartments. Not the crap that some sophomore in college would put up with.

Either way, the pay surprised me as well. It will be a good spot to fill in a decent town not too far from Sacramento. Too bad they're asking for five years experience.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and how far is it from tahoe, buck?

6. Zuri Berry

Zuri Berry New Member

Two hours from Tahoe. 45 mins from Sac and another hour up north to Chico.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Sorry, you're waaaaaaay off.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

for the love of god.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My aunt lives there... It's about an hour from Sacramento. Housing prices have skyrocketed in the last few years. The paper is God awful. I'm stunned the salary is as high as it is...

10. Mizzougrad96

Yuba City isn't terrible. Marysville is filled with meth houses. Housing costs in Sacramento are so high that some people actually live there and commute. It's kind of a farming community.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and the diary of mizzougrad's aunt is complete.

glad to see she could weigh in.

12. Mizzougrad96

If memory serves, someone went from this gig to the Colorado Springs paper then to a really big paper, maybe in NYC. I can't remember the guy's name.

Draft saved Draft deleted