1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Martinsville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SportsGuyBCK, Apr 22, 2014.

1. tacheles

tacheles New Member

Zads, a one-month wait time ain't bad. I've been job-hunting for over seven months and applied for god knows how many openings. Rare are the HR weasels and hiring editors who've let me know I haven't made the cut or the position has been filled.

In fact, it's only when I've applied for jobs outside the industry that I've consistently received professional, timely responses, even if it's just a "thanks, but no thanks."

At this point, even if I only heard "Eff you!" back from the journalism jobs I've applied for, I'd be happy.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Sports Editor, Martinsville" would be a fun little book to read.

Interview the last, oh, 25 SE's -- which takes you back, what, 15-20 years -- and put together the funniest bizarro'est saddest bits. Maybe interview some of the local coaches who have been there for so long and have a running joke every time another SE comes to town.

3. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Actually, the Bulletin had the same sports editor for like 25 years before he took a job with the racetrack. Since he left in 2002, the job has been a revolving door.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Some joints have it as HR policy to not inform any candidates (including tryout candidates) that they're not being hired.

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Not saying you're wrong but can you give a logical reason why a company would adopt that policy? I can't imagine it's for liability reasons. Or could it?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You don't want to cross anyone off the list. You don't want to burn bridges. What if your first 10 choices don't work out and you have to go back to that person?

I had one editor give me what I considered a very rude, condescending response to an application. I haven't forgotten and probably won't anytime soon. He'll get his due in due time. Hey, I took the time and effort to express an interest in moving to your backwoods town to join your Podunk staff and then you insult me and my credentials? Not good.

Of course, if someone is that much of an ass, I wouldn't want to work for them in the first place.

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I agree. But if a company says "Thank you but we've gone with another candidate" it wouldn't prevent from applying in the future.

I got a rejection letter a few months ago that said thanks for applying but they had candidates apply from bigger papers. Nothing more, nothing less. THAT one, I won't reapply for because, well, I'd be wasting my time, quite frankly.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yep. Some things never change.

Draft saved Draft deleted