1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Martinsville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but my friend Bob wants to deliver a message:

[​IMG]

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

That's pretty much what you're doomed to do here no matter how good you are or how hard you try.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It would really be cool if nobody applied for the job. Certainly, no one who participates on this board would. The stupid, lame ME would be enough to scare anyone off. When I interviewed there in 2004, I was at a non-daily. She questioned whether I would be able to "work the wires" and handle the load of being at a daily. Pissed me off so bad I took my name out of consideration the moment I got home. Hey, Ginny, I have been the SE at TWO daily papers since then. Take that!

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

She was the editor before. Is she now the ME or is she wearing two hats?

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

She's the EIC. There's also an ME, a GM and an absentee publisher. At full staff, they also have a News Editor. Just a little top-heavy for a 16K (and it IS 16K. They haven't been 20K in years). People are either moving out or buying the Roanoke paper.

6. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

This is just sad. No other words to describe it. I feel bad for the rest of the sports staff there.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

They're rarely at full staff. It's defintely a 16-17K, maybe 18K on Sunday. The GM is a dope and the publisher is a cheap-ass bastard.

That's the biggest problem with the Bulletin. Va.Tech is 90 minutes away and five other ACC schools (Wake, NC State, UNC, Duke, Virigina) are within 90 minutes. If you don't get one of those teams in the paper the GM goes ape-shit, but don't you dare ask to cover them. The ACC hoops tourney is usually in Greensboro, 50 miles south of Martinsville, but no chance to cover that. Charlotte, Richmond and Britsol are all within 2-3 hours, but no way will they let you cover those races.

After a while any logical SE would get fed up with that and bounce. Some last longer than others, but not many more than a year or so.

8. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Drew definitely knows the deal. He works (at a good paper) in the next town over. They kick the shit out of Martinsville.

9. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Oh, the stories I could tell.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Martinsville did have a kid today at ACC Football Kickoff. Was definitely shocked after reading this thread.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And you get to cover local golfing legend Keith Decker. C'mon.

12. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Umm, 99% sure that wasn't Martinsville.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.