1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Marshfield, Mass.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 30, 2008.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Unless you have explicit instructions not to call, call. You need to get a firm answer so you can get on with your life.

2. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

Thanks for the advice, I just called, of course no answer, so I left a voice mail. With my experiences in both freelancing and being the editor of my college paper, I doubt anyone else at my age would be more qualified for the job. I also doubt that a more established journalist/editor would want this too because it's only $ 27,000, but for me, that's fine for just starting out.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You mean the few thousand editors of college papers who are also looking for work? I don't want to sound like a jerk, but there are plenty of people who are just as qualified as you are. Hopefully you didn't use the "I'm more qualified than anyone else" line in your interview.

4. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

Well I was told there were only 12 applicants, and no, I didn't use that line. I will be honest with you, I did promote myself (in a non stuck-up way) when I had the chance because it was the only opportunity I had to sell myself. So if that comes off as "being better than my other applicants," then i don't know. I don't know how one defines that.

I'm not too sure about the "thousands," of applicants, I mean I doubt anyone from outside Mass would want to relocate for $27,000, especially with the way rent/housing is so expensive over here. But...I've been wrong before.

5. fast789

fast789 Guest

What makes you more qualified than someone who has been out of college for a couple of years in the field and meeting daily deadlines?

6. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

Look, there really is no need for a pissing contest on here about qualifications. I'm not stuck up, nor am I trying to come off that way. I just wanted to use this forum to get some feedback on what I should do regarding this lack of response.

F.Y.I. For your information, I DO meet daily deadlines as I am a sports correspondent/columnist for a variety of newspapers throughout GateHouse Media New England, thanks.

7. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

Word is, word will come Wednesday.

8. IanA1985

IanA1985 Member

Hopefully, we can only hope! Did you apply too?

9. bob

bob Member

Stitch, all the kid is doing is showing confidence in himself and trying to get the potential employer to see that. Nothing wrong with that and no need to dump all over him for it.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

ditto

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Bob, there also is a better way to do it than trumpeting oneself on a message board.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone copied and pasted a link in an e-mail, got the hiring editor's e-mail address and hit "send." I wouldn't do it, but I know plenty of others in this business who wouldn't hesitate to bend someone else over. Them's the shakes.

Ian, I'm sure you're a talented young stud, just sayin'.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm all for talking about your own achievements in a job interview. But if you mention that you are better than the other candidates or more qualified, that would be a red flag. Not saying that Ian did that except on this board.

Draft saved Draft deleted