1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Marquette, Mich.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by spikechiquet, Dec 8, 2010.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Just got word the SE, Bill Harris, is leaving for Flagstaff, Ariz. I haven't seen a posting yet for the job anywhere, so I thought I would let you all know.

The Mining Journal is a 28,000 daily that services three main counties out of Marquette, Mich. (apx. pop. 20,000) six days a week along with most of the Upper Peninsula with Sunday's edition.
    The main college beat is Northern Michigan hockey (a Division I program) along with the rest of the Division II sports at the school. Michigan Tech (D-I in hockey as well) is followed, but not as closely, mainly just for Sunday's edition since it's the only day that the MJ is delivered to the Houghton/Hancock area and they usually share with the local paper up there.
    Preps is the mainstay, with the majority of coverage going to Marquette, Negaunee, Ishpeming, Westwood, Munising and Gwinn, but you will field calls from many other schools as well (Newberry, Manistique, Republic-Michigamme, L'Anse, Baraga and Superior Central, to name a few).

There are TONS of outdoor activities as well (Lake Superior is right there), including fishing, hunting and hiking. Ski jumping and competitive cross-country skiing is a big deal in the winter.

To apply, contact Managing Editor Bud Sargent, bsargent@miningjournal.net or call 906-228-2500 x244. According to Bud, Harris is leaving Friday and they want to move fast.

I know there are a few other former-MJers on this board, or at least those that know of the situation there far better than I, so they might be able to add more info if they see this.

I'm a native of the area and I worked at the MJ for two years before I got married and moved. It's a good job for the most part. When I was there, it was a PM paper Monday-Friday and then Sat/Sun was an AM paper, so you may have the occasional Friday shift of 6-10 am/6-midnight. The core of the staff has been around for most of the 90s/00s and they are good people. Marquette is the best city in the UP, but that's not saying a lot if you are a big-city person. But it has it's ups compared to the rest of the smaller UP towns since NMU is there and it has more to do because it's is in town.

A total guess on money...I'd say 25K...tops. Again, a guess.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Ishpeming is pretty good in football. In fact, they just went to a state championship game at Ford Field.

There's usually a girls' basketball team that does fairly well too. So you could have some opportunities to travel downstate.

Although it is a 9-10 hour drive. Green Bay is closer.

You also won't be far from some of the best, largest sweet rolls ever at the Hilltop restaurant in L'anse.

http://www.sweetroll.com/

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Marquette to Flagstaff? Talk about extremes ....

Congrats on the move, Bill.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I too, grew up in the area and am SE of one of the MJ's sister papers. I was going to throw this on but was waiting for a posting. Thanks, spike, for taking care of it.

There's lots to like about living in the U.P., especially if snow doesn't bother you. If you'd like to know more about the job (or at least what I think I know about it), feel free to PM me.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ishpeming has the best mascot nickname in the State. Go Hemotites!

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hematites.

And the best is the Watersmeet Nimrods.

Truthfully, a lot of UP nicknames are pretty cool.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yes, Watersmeet and Ishpertuckey are good. But don't forget:
    • Bessemer Speedboys (and Speedgirls)
    • Calumet Copper Kings
    • Houghton Gremlins
    • Menominee Maroons
    • Kingsford Flivvers
    • Gwinn Modeltowners
    • Escanaba Eskymos
    • West Iron County Wykons

I could go on...

8. D-K

D-K New Member

Congrats on the step up Bill. I covered sports in Marquette for five years, great place to live. Named one of Forbes Magazines top places to live this year. NMU Sports are great to cover, too. Anyone has any questions, PM me.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Besides getting to type in the great nicknames (what?? No love for the Manistique Emeralds?), I'll add to what others have said: This could be a great gig for someone in their 20s who loves the outdoors and has the layout and college hockey background they're looking for.

Never worked for the Mining Journal (other than a couple times as a stringer), but I'll vouch for Marquette as a great spot to live in the U.P. There is SOME college-town vibe with NMU, plus all the hiking, mountain biking, kayaking, fishing, hunting, etc. you could want within a short drive.

Draft saved Draft deleted