1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Lumberton, NC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, May 19, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports editor

Date Posted: May 18, 2015
    Job Status: Not Specified
    Salary: Not Specified

Description:

The Robesonian newspaper, a six-day-a-week publication in Lumberton, N.C., is looking for a sports editor. The job is mostly high school coverage, although there are limited opportunities to cover some ACC football, basketball, NBA, NFL and NASCAR. A special knowledge of NASCAR would be welcomed. A journalism degree is preferred, but not required. Experience working in a sports department is a must. The sports editor will manage a staff of one, but would also have a budget for correspondent work. There is a lot of Friday and Saturday work, especially when the public schools are in session, but Sundays are normally a day off and there is no Monday publication, so that is a light day of work. Strong writing and editing skills are required, as well as keen organizational skills. Pay is competitive for our size newspaper, and benefits are excellent. Send resume and work samples to Donnie Douglas, editor, at ddouglas@civitasmedia.com. No phone calls please.

2. CarolinaGuy

CarolinaGuy New Member

Some notes on The Robesonian, the daily grind and the boss you'll be working for, Donnie Douglas ...

So, I worked five years at this job (recently) out of college, hoping to craft my writing style and skill set into something formidable. I now cover SEC football 365 days a year. Douglas is a fair and honest boss, someone who will expect your best every day in print. Unlike most, he will also commend you for a job well done and actually reads sports copy and takes pride in the section (but doesn't over-analyze or look over your shoulder). There are no short cuts with this gig, so don't go in expecting any. The hours are sometimes long (it's journalism after) and the pay is minimal, but the community appreciates the coverage and admires good writing and strong reporting. I'll also note that while Douglas has the ultimate say into what type of content (ie hard sports news, coaching hire rumors, unnamed source stuff) goes into his newspaper, he never once shot down at an idea I pitched his way. He gave me plenty of room for enterprise and lengthy pieces that we sometimes split over multiple days. The guy loves local copy.

Apply for this job with a plan in mind and give it your best. Be humble. Try and leave a legacy and impact the locals you meet at the games. They deserve it. It's a fulfilling gig and I had no regrets. Prep and college football was obviously my passion and from mid-June to late-November, the stories often write themselves if you keep your nose inside the six high school athletic departments. You'll develop relationships with the athletes, get on the nerves of athletic directors (if you're doing your job) and provide fans with something to talk about at games. It's essential that the applicant also knows that local sports trumps all here. There are opportunities for one-offs to cover the Panthers, Bobcats, FBS football, etc., but you're better off penning a Sunday feature on the local quarterback than wasting time on an NBA column local readers can get elsewhere.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  3. ScottySchlauf

ScottySchlauf New Member

As the guy who's leaving, I'd be happy to specify on any questions people may have. Personally, I spent almost 2 1/2 years in the role and I'm leaving on a good note. It's a job that can be good or bad, but is really about what you make it to be. Donnie gives you a ton of flexibility, it's really a matter of showing him your passion and making the section worthwhile.

Draft saved Draft deleted