1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Los Angeles Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

This is a valid point, and it was one of several reasons I didn't return to my former employer (a Tribune newspaper) when I had an opportunity to do so a few years ago (at the time, it looked like Tribune was prepared to sell off its newspapers piecemeal).

But is there any newspaper situation now that isn't uncertain and unstable? In the past two weeks alone, just look at Gannett and Scripps.

In fact, I think it could be argued that Tribune Publishing, at least in the short term, may be preferable to the way Tribune Co. was when Zell/Michaels/Abrams were in charge. We'll see how it plays out over the long term, of course.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

There's one rumor out there for this job that makes some level of sense since it would be a minority hire with history at Tribune Co. (Not Hoppes)

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

So who would be the best person to hire of all the sports editors out there? (Seriously .......)

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Ronnie Ramos?! <crossthread> I keed, I keed.

This is definitely a big-boy gig, and I can't see why anyone who is qualified and still in the biz wouldn't apply. Would think they're better of than the majority of places. And I find it hard to believe the SE at the LAT is working a whole lot of nights and weekends. Even in the current climate, it's tough to get ASEs at most larger papers I'm familiar with to work more than a couple of nights or one of the weekend days.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

He probably wouldn't come, but the LAT should try for Phil Kaplan.

Or, it should get Randy Harvey back.

I also wonder if, by chance, they've approached old/previous hand Bill Dwyre? :D Or John Cherwa? Both, after all, are still there. I wonder if Dave Tepps might be interested?

I'd also like to see Deputy Sports Editor Mike Hiserman get it.

Yes, even these days, the LAT should have its pick of any field of candidates, and it should use that position to its advantage.

6. Fran Curci

That's a very good point regarding Cherwa. And Hiserman. Plus, you could promote either of them and kill their old position. Management loves that.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

So they can have their pick and should use that to their advantage, but you suggest any number of safe/retread choices? Interesting take on it.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

All worthy candidates, and, yes, the World Champion should still have its pick of candidates. But I don't see Journalist Bill going back into that rat race, nor should he. He's traveling the world writing on the ponies and golf and tennis. He doesn't need that kind of aggravation and writing memos about dinner with sources because those days are gone.

9. Fran Curci

Those are all good names. But would the paper want a traditional sports editor or feel pressure to do something more "innovative" (quote marks for sarcasm)?

10. Fantasy sports department is fun and all, but the paper is still hurting. The paper doesn't need a "star;" it needs a sorcerer or priest.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

To clarify, not saying those guys aren't worthy or don't deserve a shot, but I agree that they are in good position for a home run hire if they want to and play it right.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

It isn't a take. They are openings for discussion, unlike anonymous people that nobody will name and therefore can't be discussed.

I gave the guy I think the LAT should get if it is trying for a home-run outside hire (Kaplan). I think he'd do the paper some good, and is a good mix of experience and belief in print and new media. I think people would want to work for him and that could only be good for the paper.

I guess you could call Dwyre and Harvey retreads, but honestly, the mention of Dwyre was a bit of a joke (didn't you note the cheesy smile?). I am pretty certain he would not entertain the notion of doing the job again. I'm not certain, however, that the idea hasn't been floated by others within the LAT. Hence, his mention. As for Harvey, well, I consider him among the people I respect most in the industry, "retread," or not. End of explanation.

The others are people who have or else have had background with the paper and the area before, and whom I thought might be interested, and could, conceivably, be considered.

And, when I was in the business, I considered Hiserman a mentor, so yes, if he wants it, I'd like to see him get the opportunity.

Draft saved Draft deleted