1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- Loredo (Texas) Morning Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Aug 6, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Laredo Morning Times is looking for a sports leader who lives and breathes athletics. Laredo, Texas is a growing and engaged fitness community. This person would cover a diverse sports town that includes professional soccer, minor league baseball, arena football, university athletics and high school sports, just to name a few. The right candidate must have a thorough knowledge of sports, be organized, be able to write compelling sports stories in AP style and produce special sports sections. She or he would be responsible for daily sports coverage and production of the sports pages. He or she will also manage the sports staff and be a team motivator. The Sports Editor must also be a sports social media machine. If this job description sounds more like a great adventure for you, then send me your resume. Job offers are contingent on passing a drug test. Send your resume and clips to Managing Editor Mary Nell Sanchez (mnsanchez@lmtonline.com). No phone calls please. LMT is an equal opportunity employer.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1518058

2. arceditor

arceditor New Member

Re: Sports editor -- Laredo (Texas) Morning Times

Curious what happened to the previous guy. Good person, easy to work with. Anyone know?

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

I can speculate one of three things may have happened:
    1. He woke up one morning and said "Oh my gosh it's 108 degrees right now, and it's just 10 a.m. I need to get the hell out of here."
    2. He woke up one morning and said "Oh my gosh, I've been shot my Mexican druglords. I need to get out of here."
    3. He woke up one morning and said "Oh my gosh, I need a to make more money and find an industry that isn't dying."

Of the three, I'm going with No. 2 as the most likely.

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Good person, maybe. Easy to work with? He ran off five people in his year and a half as SE, including a couple of talented individuals who ended up at bigger papers. He plays favorites.

Unless we're talking different people.

5. arceditor

arceditor New Member

The young guy who was there for what seemed like less than a year?

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Is Laredo now pronounced Loredo, or is Laredo now just spelled Loredo?

Is this part of the editing test?

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yup. The one who's leaving.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Haha. It's botched.

It's "Laredo."

9. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

it was spelled right on the journalism jobs site

Draft saved Draft deleted