1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Lorain (OH) Morning Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by lloyd, Nov 2, 2007.

1. SouthPaw

SouthPaw New Member

Don't let the quality (or lack thereof) of the news-side section and design detract from what the sports department turns out.

With all of what's been mentioned working against them, it's still a fine section. The former SE is outstanding people as is the interim SE. Lloyd is a tremendous beat reporter/columnist.

My advice: if you're interested in/get the job, don't live IN Lorain.

2. shallow_gal

shallow_gal New Member

I'll chime in on the writing talent here. Design problems can be fixed, but Ingraham could be a columnist at any metro anywhere in the country. Lloyd is right there, too. Check the APSE list from any year, you'll have a hard time not finding his name. Usually more than once.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I thought Ingraham was a Willoughby guy. And from what I've been told, the Willoughby guys are not happy about their stuff going in at Lorain.

I agree, DO NOT live in the craphole that is Lorain. I've had a couple people laugh at me when I've told them this job is open.

And design problems can be fixed, but the crappy print job, good luck getting that corrected.

4. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Considering two of the three Willoughby guys should be happy their stuff is going in at Willoughby, I'm not sure why they'd be beefing about it going in at Lorain. I wonder if Lloyd is unhappy about his OSU stuff going in at Willoughby.

5. lloyd

lloyd New Member

I found that to be a bit strange as well. I know a lot of writers, I've never heard any of them complain about too many papers running their stories. That's kind of funny.
    Now maybe they don't like the deadlines, since they essentially have to file immediately after for us. But that's in JRC's hands.

6. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Jason is solid peeps and a damn fine OSU beat guy ... most guys on the beat can't even slip into his jock....I wish I could get this gig, because it's close to Cleveland ... however, I just made a move myself and don't really feel like attempting to make another switch just after my 90 days .... this is definitely a sweet gig for anyone looking for a great move up ....As far as JRC goes, they have to be infinitely better than the good ship lollypop called Brown

7. td truckers

td truckers Member

Whoever gets this job will be surrounded with a very hard working staff blessed with great writing talent, but that 10:30pm deadline is a rough deal...hope it goes back to 11pm like it used to be there for the sake of everyone involved.

8. It should be noted page closeout was 1:15 a.m. for final edition six months ago, not 11 p.m. That was the deadline for our first edition.

9. onebigfella

onebigfella New Member

Willoughby guys not miffed at stuff going in at Lorain. Why would we be? Now, is there bitching about early deadlines? Perhaps. And, to the schmuck who said 2 of 3 guys in Willoughby should be happy their copy goes in there, screw off. What do you know?

10. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

it would be funny if he ended up being your boss

11. BBJones

BBJones Guest

What do I know? Well ... I'm not real fond of the work of two of Willoughby's three beat writers. How bout we leave it at that.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There's now an opening in Willoughby, too, FWIW.

Draft saved Draft deleted